1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Kind Of Bass Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squnk, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Squnk

Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    I need your help once again, I am looking for a short scale sturdy bass that would be good for playing pop-punk, blues and classic rock. I was thinking of getting the Mark Hoppus signature Bass or thr Danelectro Long horn but from some of the input I have gotten has just confused me even more than I was before. I even have a weird idea of getting a shoet scale fender bass and putting the long horn pickups on it with just an on/off switch on it. Are there any kind of bass that you think is out there for me?
    Thanx

2. answer these questions, please:

how long have you been playing seriously?
    what makes you consider these two basses as your best options?
    what don't you like about your current bass?
    why short-scale?

3. Squnk

Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    I played off and on for about 2 years, but with in the last couple monthes have been very seriously playing.

I like the Mark Hoppus signature bass because I like simple basses. I hate when a bass has like 10 knobs, I prefer a bass with 2 or less knobs because i don't see the point in having so many sound options. And The Mark Hoppus Bass bass is an awsome punk bass but not very versitile to other kinds of music. I like the danelectro longhorn because my friend had one about 2 years ago and I got to play it and I loved the feel of the short neck and the sound is freaking great. But the bas is not very sturdy and I want something that can take a lil stress.

The bass I have Now is the same bass I have had since I first started playing, an Affinity Squire P-bass that I got in a beginner bass pack. I love it but I am at the point where I need something more and need something that fits my playing style better.

I like short scale because I am a speedy player and I can move fast and less errorless on a short scale compared to a normal sclae bass

I hope that is enough to help

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Hmmmm too bad they don't make a short scale Blackbird...that would be perfect.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Do a search. Lot's of information lurking around here that might help ya out.

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Mybe you should try a Gibson EB-3, used of course.... very cool basses.