Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Kind Of Bass Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squnk, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Squnk

Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    I need your help once again, I am looking for a short scale sturdy bass that would be good for playing pop-punk, blues and classic rock. I was thinking of getting the Mark Hoppus signature Bass or thr Danelectro Long horn but from some of the input I have gotten has just confused me even more than I was before. I even have a weird idea of getting a shoet scale fender bass and putting the long horn pickups on it with just an on/off switch on it. Are there any kind of bass that you think is out there for me?
    Thanx

2. answer these questions, please:

how long have you been playing seriously?
    what makes you consider these two basses as your best options?
    what don't you like about your current bass?
    why short-scale?

3. Squnk

Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    I played off and on for about 2 years, but with in the last couple monthes have been very seriously playing.

I like the Mark Hoppus signature bass because I like simple basses. I hate when a bass has like 10 knobs, I prefer a bass with 2 or less knobs because i don't see the point in having so many sound options. And The Mark Hoppus Bass bass is an awsome punk bass but not very versitile to other kinds of music. I like the danelectro longhorn because my friend had one about 2 years ago and I got to play it and I loved the feel of the short neck and the sound is freaking great. But the bas is not very sturdy and I want something that can take a lil stress.

The bass I have Now is the same bass I have had since I first started playing, an Affinity Squire P-bass that I got in a beginner bass pack. I love it but I am at the point where I need something more and need something that fits my playing style better.

I like short scale because I am a speedy player and I can move fast and less errorless on a short scale compared to a normal sclae bass

I hope that is enough to help

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Hmmmm too bad they don't make a short scale Blackbird...that would be perfect.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Do a search. Lot's of information lurking around here that might help ya out.

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Mybe you should try a Gibson EB-3, used of course.... very cool basses.