1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of bass should I use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapmachine, Oct 4, 2010.

1. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    :bassist: Hey guys what's up, I'm currently in a pickle as to what kind of bass I should use for my playing style and genre preference. What better place then to consult? Talkbass.com! Anyways, I currently own a Fender FSR Hot Rod Jazz which does a lot of what I want it to do. But, could I be playing something that I may like better? Currently, I'm into a lot of slap, fusion / progressive jazz styles as well as being able to rock sometimes. I know some basses like a Warwick are just made for slap, but is there any other basses out there that can slap like a Warwick minus the crazy price maybe? I'm open to any and all advice I can grab. Oh, and what kind of strings should I be using even though I've played for 5 years I've never even thought about what strings to use. Thanks!!

2. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Music Man Bongo 6 HH. All you could ever need in a bass.

Edit: Full disclosure, I am an unpaid MM Bongo homer in the way that Gard is a New Orleans Saints Homer

3. Your Jazz should be fine.

Just slap some stainless steel strings on it.

4. Is this a troll post or is this a troll post?

5. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness though, if you've never tried a different type/set of strings from what you're used to, you may just think they all sound the same, or that they don't have a big impact on your sound. I know that was what I thought for the first while I was playing, it's why I kept playing EB Super Slinkys for I think 8 years, then moved to RS77 Jazz flats, then Chromes, then RS66s, then DR Sunbeams, then DR High beams, before finally landing on DR black beauties....for my bongo and my fretless Jazz. FWIW I have chromes on my P bass. D'Addarios on my other 6, and a custom RS66 set on my detuned bass.

6. ^ What he said about the strings is the full on truth.

This is why I suggested stainless steel,as they tend to be more naturally scooped in the mids than nickel.Great for slappin'.

7. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    But, guys lets be real Jazz basses weren't meant to slap Warwicks were obviously designed for slap but is there another brand like warwick without the warwick price?

8. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    And, Sloasdaylight, like you I have been using the EB SS strings and they're good I guess but i'm still not sure.

9. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    personally i always liked DR fatbeams and lowriders for slaptone and fingerstyle. There the only strings i use (ok Highbeams and Labelle flats aswell)

As for the bass, what you have is great. Go to a music store and try out a bunch of basses, and use what you like. If what you have works keep using it.

Also If you want cheap gear LEAVE TALK BASS! youll get the worst gas here lol :)

10. Ok,now we're getting into troll postland.

Anyone that slaps a Jazz or has seen a professional bassist slap,raise your hand.

[​IMG]

11. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Spector

12. who says Warwicks were meant to be slapped? :eyebrow:

Most basses do everything just fine, depending on strings and preamp settings

13. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    I've just played a bunch of warwicks when i was around in NYC and in the new custom shop showroom and they have a completely smooth feel when you slap sometimes you just don't have to put a bunch of effort into them its a great feeling.

14. ericw

ericw Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    :rolleyes:

Sounds like you played a bass that had a good setup. I suggest getting your jazz bass setup, because the first comment I quoted is shown erroneous by a plethora of jazz bass slappers (Marcus Miller?!).

FWIW I use DR Hi-beams on my TRB's and get a great feeling slap setup.

EDIT: You know Larry Graham, who is credited with inventing slap bass, has a signature bass which is basically a modified jazz bass?

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol.

im-watching-you-focker.jpg

16. Play what feels comfortable and sounds good.

Some will say, "Just use the Jazz", while some will say, "Go buy (insert boutique bass here)." I could +1 peledog for saying Spector, but not everyone likes them... because they're dumb. ;)

If you're happy with the jazz, just try out a couple sets of strings and find out which ones you like.

17. Classic!

18. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Yeah, based on what guys have suggested I am just going to try some new strings and yeah I knew about Marcus Miller and Larry Graham haha just was thinking about how some of the best bassists out there have some "boutique" bass like wooten and his fedora and I guess once I A. Rob a Bank, or B. Rob a different bank I'll be able to afford one of those :)

19. Nothing wrong with wanting to try a higher end bass,but if it works it works!

20. brother21

brother21

Dec 26, 2008
    Anaheim
    Do try daddario flatwound cromes. Those strings are so nice!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021