1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of bass was Garry Tallent playing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I was watching the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show last nite and noticed Garry Tallent's bass looked like a short scale. Does anyone know what kind of bass he used? He sounded great!

2. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Gary Tallent has an endorsement with Spector, they make a short scale bass and you can check out there site for details.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Read an interview with Springsteen years ago. He referred to Garry as a "Swamp Monster".
    Every time I see him play, I remember this. It's true - he is.

4. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
  5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks! Beautiful basses but the USA ones are not cheap.

AGH likes this.
  6. On this last tour he was playing short scale single pickup guilds, a spector and a warwick as well as an upright.

7. Haven't I seen him with either Danelectro or Jerry Jones Longhorns in the past also?

8. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Definitely not a Spector. I've never seen this model before but it looked like a hollow bodied PRS.

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Subbed, as I had the same question and impression that it wasn't a Spector either.

10. Billsals

Billsals Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2013
    detroit mi
    A Paul Reed Smith?

Gougedeye likes this.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Looked like a PRS hollowbody to me and yes, he has also played a Longhorn.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  12. Paul Reed Smith made #7 and #11 basses back in 1976-78 - I owned both of them and he absolutely made a bass for Gary Tallent around this same time - he also made basses for Tony Bunn and Stanley Sheldon (Frampton) around this time. It was in the shop at one point for some setup work and I was able to spend a few minutes on it. It was a beautiful bass but a solid body and definitely NOT what he played on the show. He and Paul go way back - but I am don't know if their relationship continues - I WILL say that Paul will build anything for the stars in the Private Stock department - and it would not surprise me to learn he built a hollowbody bass for Gary. It sure looked PRS to me.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

13. Billsals

Billsals Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2013
    detroit mi
    Bass playing perfection on "kitty's back" !!!
    Love the walking/melodic grooving!!

14. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    Just seen the show last night and it looks like it wasn't his 'shorty' Spector, we might need to search Garry Tallent to find out what it was????

15. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I vote for a Paul Reed Smith.

16. amelnick

amelnick Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    It was a custom short scale PRS

17. Yup, a Private Stock one off. Photo from the PRS Forum:

unknownPRS_zps3dcf7e63.

BassHappy

18. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Wow. Gorgeous bass. Honestly been impressed with the look of the Grainger basses, thinking and dreaming...

19. Always liked his playing.

20. Looks to me like a one-off, I don't think it is a Grainger, I think it is a Private Stock custom. Check out the single pickup. Also, the body is slightly smaller much like the pre-factory basses were. Knowing Garry's history with Paul a bit, I would guess that it is a medium scaler, like the original one Paul built for him around 1978. Only a guess, I can't find any more details online.

BassHappy