Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of basses did he use: Mike Rutherford

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by louloomis, Dec 28, 2004.

1. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Hi. Does anyone know what kind of basses Mike Rutherford of Genesis used on Duke, Abacab, Mama, and Invisible Touch?

Live, I know that he used the Alembic, Steinberger, and later on a Yamaha...but what about in the studio?

Thanks,
    LL

2. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I seem to remember the Shergold.He had a double neck 12 string and bass and used the taurus Moog bass pedals.This was in the early years, though.I recently saw "Music Box" ,a Genesis tribute band perform, and I think the bassist had the Shergold/Rutherford Custom Double-Neck.

3. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
  4. Guffster

Guffster

Feb 1, 2005
    To the best of my knowledge Mike Rutherford still owns his custom twin neck of which I think only two were ever made. Its all on the Shergold web site. Shergold did make other twin necks but these did not clip apart like Rutherfords did. Thats probably whet the Guy in the tribute band was using.

5. Oh, I always thought he was using a Rickenbacker double-neck in the early days. :oops:

6. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    Yup ... the Musical Box recreate the Gabriel days (Foxtrot, Selling England and The Lamb (currently touring The Lamb).
    Sebastien Lamothe plays a Micro-Fret 6 string bass doubled with a Rickenbacker semi-acoustic 12 string.

http://www.themusicalbox.net/

Mike R didn't switch to the Shergold until after Peter left :bassist:

7. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    The Music Box did a great job and the guys even look like Genesis.I didn't realze MicroFret made a double neck,in fact the only Micro -Fret I have ever seen is one that I owned,a 6 string bass. It had a 2nd nut at the bridge. I couldn't see the pedals, but they sounded like Moog pedals(?)

8. Guffster

Guffster

Feb 1, 2005
    Not sure of the exact chronology but I think he used Rickenbacker up to around the time of "the Lamb", then the Microfret until "Wind and Wuthering" which was about the time he started using the Shergold twin neck and a Hagstrom 8 string for "I know what I like" live. About the time of the "Mama" tours I saw him use the Stenberger and a Gibson bass, not sure which model. Last few occassions I saw him he was using a Black Yamaha TRB4 which seemed to get an outing by who ever was playing bass for the Mechannics as well.

Evidently he aske Stenberger to make him a headless bass but with a normal shape/size body. When they turned him down he had one built elsewhere, then Stenberger copied it and started producing their own.

Look forward to any updates corrections or additions. Cheers

9. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    Mikes Rick double-neck :bassist:

Attached Files: