Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of basses do you like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Germz, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Germz

Germz

Jun 19, 2000
    I was just wondering what kind of basses you guys like?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like one that has strings! 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,or whatever!

Just so it has strings!

[​IMG]

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I like those electric kind. You know, the ones where you use this cable thing...and hook it up to one of those things that make it sound louder. Yeah, those are cool! :D

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Are you talking about brands of basses? If so, you will get as many answers, as there are brands. It is a VERY subjective choice.
    If you are asking what KIND of bass....

I like a bass that is different from the crowd. It must have good balance and fell good in MY hands. It must be well constructed and have consistent tone up and down the neck. I must be able to provide the bass sound, which "I" want. It must be a bass which I WANT to play.

That's just a few things about what kind of bass "I" like.
    I am sure that others would have a lot to add. :)

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I like those basses where it has 1 string and it looks like a little stick with a rubberband on it hehe :D

jk jk

6. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Darkmazda, are you talking about the Ashbory bass with three strings removed?

and Deynn, I have to admit that I have nothing against those bigger less electric thingies that are kinda like refrigerators made out of wood either. But it may be that these electric ones have the advantage. I believe it's because they usually have more chrome than the acoustic ones. That has to be it.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Ahhhh...those big wooden box basses....:) I want one, but it would take up too much space in my cell....:D

8. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Well if you need more space you can always get rid of some really unnecessary mod cons. Those wooden thingies are roughly the same size as small beds so you could get one if you just ditched the bed. Most of us sleep in gigbags anyhow :)

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Tuomas: no.. those ones that looks like a stick with a string!! seriously.. a 1 string bass.. it was like $500 or something like that.. man.. -=\ But i heard it has one of the clearest E sound :

DM

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Deynn: I like weird looking basses too!! I like those aluminum basses.. :) and i want those "Andreas" brand basses! They look funky -=) well my Salas has a weird headstock ;)

11. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Oh.. where did you see it?

It would be actually pretty cool if it would have only a few frets in few irrational places.. like the open string, then.. let's say a g#, Bb, and the D# just below the E octave. if I'd get one of those I'd get random gig right away and show up with that bass and say "sorry guys we ain't playing anything that has some other notes than E, g#, Bb and D# so I hope you got something in mind 'cause I dont" :)

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now let's see.. Something special. Something that looks, feels, sounds and plays like a bass and not like a large geetar missing a string or two.

Warwick Fortress for example is a bass to my taste.

13. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hmm.. i really like thouse.. Rogue 7 string basses.. roflmao

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Rogue................................ ........................................................... no comment......................

15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    LMAO.. hmm ok how about a squire 7 string?

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I want one of those new solid quilt maple bodied Jay Turser 7 strings.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like fast necks, body with some weight. Those light one seem to defeat the purpose. I also like LOW bass, like the Bs and F#s. Other than that, I just like dark colors. Paterns, finishes, shapes and such really don't matter, nor does brand. I just dig basses man. Exept for DeArmond Pilot 4s. THose are the bane of my existance. The most painful bass to play, period (in my opinion and experience)

a good example would be and Ibanez BTB or a Warwick Thumb, or maybe a nice Fender American P Deluxe ( I think thats the one with the P and the big "two-js-put-together" humbucker, if not, that's the one I mean) but not A damned DeArmond Pilot 4!

18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I just dont Like Fenders.
    What I like is synthetic made basses.
    I like the Luthite Body and Ebonol Fingerboard of my Cort Curbow. I love Modulus Graphite Necks and Curbow's Rockwood necks..
    But for a Wooden Instrument, my choice would be Warwick.

So.. What I would like:
    A Curbow Xt-33 7 String, A Modulus Quantum 6, a Warwick Dolphin Pro 5, and a Cort Curbow 6 String (I just happen to love my bass.)

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have two fundamental criteria for a bass to be liked by me:

1. The bass must sound bitchen.

2. The bass must have bitchen playability.

And a third, unforeseen criterion:

3. The bass must look bitchen.

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    washtub bass all the way!

all you need is a broomhandle, a washtub, a drill, an eye screw and nut, and some big string! and you should wear a glove with some metal patched on a finger to fret. bass player actually had directions on how to make one a couple of years ago. fun stuff!

for real though, i like basses that are strange, but sound awesome. like my thumb 5string n/t. i like modulus's too, except for their finished necks.

jason