Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of Bassist are you?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Four-on-the-floor, simple but solid.

90 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. A Shredder.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. A melodic master.

59 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. A player that adds what the tune needs.

147 vote(s)
    48.5%
  1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I am curious. How many players are regular 4-on-the-floor solid bassist? How many are shredders? How many are melodic masters?

What would you classify yourself as?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would consider myself a groove man. I like to lay in with the drums and get a groove going that nobody can stay still with.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm four on the floor because I lack chops. If I practiced more, I would have at least gone through an obnoxious show-off phase.:eek:

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Of the three, I guess "melodic master," although I wouldn't call myself the master of anything.

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider myself a master of anything either, but I am definitely more of a meat-and-potatoes type of player. And that is saying a lot for a vegetarian!

6. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    I usually just do quarter notes with a pick when Im trying to strike a pose!

7. We'll at gigs I jump around quite a lot, but I'm a pretty solid but melodic bassist. I love laying down a groove but also love bouncing to a beat.

8. something between a 'melodic master' and a 'shredder'... of course im neither, im not that good..

9. I've been listening to Modest Mouse a lot lately, and I think Eric Judy's influence is rubbing off on me....

Simon Gallup of the Cure is another bassist who's chops have also influenced me.. on more than one occasion, I've been quoted as making very Cure-ish basslines...

10. Hehe, I was just playing thier song Dramimine before I signed on :bassist:

Yeah, I'm much more of a melodic player. I'm good, but I'm FAR from being a master at anything. I like to do the melodtic stuff, while still maintaining the groove element. I do my best to lock in the the drums and find the pocket, but I also like to let loose a lot of basslines that accent the melody more than the beat of the music.

11. As a member of a pop rock band there isn't a huge amount of space for me to really shred things up, not that I'd be able to anyways. I like simple stuff. I do my role as the bass player, filling things in and holding down the low end, but I do my best to throw in fills and other things that add flavor to the mix while trying not to draw a huge amount of attention.

12. I just discovered them about one year ago, and Eric is one of my favorite bass players now...he doesn't have the greatest technique, but he plays with a lot of feel, and comes up with really nice memorable basslines....I liked his tone on the album "The Moon and Antarctica" the best....

On their newer album.."The Ocean Breathes Salty" has an awesome bassline (see if you can find the missed note in there:D) ...the video for it is one of the best that I've seen too....http://www.modestmouse.com/web/media.php

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I don't get "Four-on-the-Floor"....

I know that as the typical Hot Rod / Muscle car shifter type.... I don't get the analogy?

I like to think myself to be a player that adds what the tune needs. so I guess I'm between 1 and 3

14. Maybe there's a bass called a Muncie Rockcrusher?

15. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.

I'll give that a +1

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I nominate this for option 4, the right answer.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    done :ninja:

18. There should be an option that reads "Jeckle and Hyde Bassist"

Meaning guys that usually hold the groove and stay calm, but when the music gets intense they go wild. Maing very sudden movements with the bass, making weird, concentrating faces... Cause thats how I am...:smug:

19. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    Hmm.....I've been playing steady for the last year and a half, but started in 74' played off and on in the late 80's and early 90's a few months ago something just hit me,I impressed myself and I'm my toughest critic, I call it "the day I got my chops back"

so that said I'm think I'm a little behind all the choices

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I play strictly for the song.
    I get equal pleasure from mind blowing solos and straight 8th notes.