what kind of bassplayer are you ( part 2 ) ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by AllodoX, Sep 5, 2001.

1. extravert

26 vote(s)
  2. intravert

20 vote(s)
  1. are you a background player, or do you try to get all the attention when on stage ?

myself, i don't want to be " the star ", but i appreciate it when people notice me.
  2. I don't like being the front man, either.
  3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Extrovert vs. Introvert?

As a musician, introverted 90% of the time with 10% of occasional extroversion.
  4. Dandie Dan

Dandie Dan

Aug 28, 2001
    I am an attention hog all the way.
  5. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I love to play lead on bass. And if I don't play lead, I atleast want to have a solo per show. Not really for the attention, just for the fun of it!
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't need all of the attention that my guitarist needs, if that's what you are asking. :)

Sometimes I do get a bit jealous of him though and I'll "step out of the shadows" for a little bit, so people can see who's driving the bus. :D
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´m very shy onstage, although I´ve been trying to change that, I don´t mean getting all the attention but I wanna do something
  8. I don't wanna be the guy jumping around and doing big solos and robbing my friends of their spot light. But I really want everyone to say "Wow. That bass player is kickin ass."
  9. sanitymw

Mar 28, 2001
    Introvert.... Extrovert.....!? I'm just a bassist!:rolleyes:
  10. I do almost everythng for the band, I try to be the frontman but the leadvocals keeps upstaging me I've gone so far as to paint myself in completly blue paint, jump off stages, dance like a crazy breakdancer on acid and I even got an erection on stage for the whole crowd to see but he always seem to upstage me.:mad:
  11. depends, yo. this summer i was playing bass for my friend's "solo" project and considerably toned down my stage presence, because i think she should be the center of attention.
  12. D.J

Jan 31, 2000

I agree with you! ;)
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have played various instruments in various situations. I just like playing. The lead vocalist is always going to be the centre of attention. If you want that then sing.
  14. Interesting question....

My band, Black Sea Fire, play hard-rock (NOT METAL!). Our singer is big muscley bloke with short hair who isnt at all stage shy. In fact he's very forward and agressive on stage. It works. We have two guitarists one who does b/vs so cant move about too much and one who is a bit older and doesnt look so good up-front.

As a band we're very concious of image and while I prefer to stand by the kit... I have to go right up-front for two reasons:

1) I'm 27 and better looking than the older guitarist!
    2) I really get into playing live and rock out like a mutha, so it looks cool and insights the audience some.

Playing-wise I play what I play, if it's flashy, it's flashy and if it's simple, it's simple. I dont really care if people think I'm any good or not because I really enjoy what I write & play and am very proud of what I write & play.

I don't TRY to get the attention, but I might be a little flamboyant from time to time. I think you either have to enjoy it or not bother at all.

Playing live is about visual as much as sound. You dont go to 'listen' to a band, you go to 'see' a band play live.
  15. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    I'm the happy guy who jumps around a lot.
  16. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I play just as much with my face and my whole body as I do with my hands. :) Although when it comes to difficult parts, when I have to concentrate on what I'm doing, I'm stiff like a pillar with closed eyes. But most of the time I'm extrovert... kind of, anyway.
  17. i have that problem too, gurning like i've been kicked in the balls... i like to think it makes me look 'into it' ?!
  18. into it, good choice of words but I can't even stand when I kicked in the fun spot or just limp around, does it give you insentive to just jump up and down until they fall back in place.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me too.