Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of battery does bass guitar take?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jkrobs, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Hi, I recently got a new bass guitar. A Yamaha XBS-375 or something like that. Bassically when I got it, At the back I opened the battery compartment up and removed the battery, it sayed it was dated march 2006..So Im guessing it must have been in there a long time. So I wanted to get another replacement..but Im not sure if that battery is a special one or not? Can get just a normal 9v square duracell or ennergiser battery? is it ok? or do I need something special? I looked for information on the battery..but it just says 9v? please help me.

2. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    A normal 9v will work, I use duracall myself

3. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    ah thanks for your quick reply. Cool Im gonna get some new ones tommorow. Also what does the battery power? sorry silly question...

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use any 9v. Rite Aid, duracell, energizer, whatever is around. The battery powers the active preamp,

5. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    pre am??? sorry what is that? I don't have an amp yet..just sing my good hearing. But Im new to bass and having so much trouble playing...:'(

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The preamp is in the bass, it is what lets you EQ.

7. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    The really hard thing for me being totaly novice to bass is that when I got the bass..it was brand new..but it came with no owner manual..so Im not sure what the 4 buttons do when I turn them....Im not sure which way is high and which way is low.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Clockwise is generally turning knobs up.

9. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    ah cool..dam Now I just need to know which one does what? I know one is master wolume. and 2 are eqs

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I only use DuraCell Alkaline Batteries. I do much prefer the Lithium batteries, but at $15 each, changing batteries and strings on my basses is just about $50. All of my basses are 18v. Alkaline batteries last a good long while, unless you leave your bass plugged in. On the other hand, the lithium batteries last about 3 times as long.

11. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    thanks..Yep Im gonna get some duracell tommorow at work. Next I need to get a strap..anyone know where to get a nice comfy strap for bass guitars. I got silver guitar..so I should get black strap or silver one. Also any good books for learning bass guitar..but when I mean good, I mean really easy to anderstand with pics and stuff. Im crap at bass guitar..but Im not giving up!!! :D

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im guessing you have the RBX 375. 2 of the knobs are volume (one for each pickup) and one knob is Bass, one is Treble.

Im not exactly sure which, someone more familiar with the standard 2 band eq will help you out here.

13. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    I anderstand now..but I did try putting a new battery in which still had juice in it..I tryed turning the buttons when I played around with it..but nothing sounded different..do you know..do I need to have an amp to hear the difference? Also what the hell are those dotes on the finger board? also on the side of the fingerboard?...there white and look like Mother of Pearl.

14. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Yes, you need an amp to hear your bass.:eyebrow:

15. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    I think a little of what I was drinking just came out my nose.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Those knobs change the sound of the signal that your bass sends through the cable to an amplifier. The knobs on your bass are those of an active preamp, probably a two band (bass and treble) or three band (bass, mid, treble) EQ plus a volume, perhaps a pickup blend knob.

You'll need an amp to hear those changes.

17. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Those are inlays. They mark the odd frets (Metal Bars on the neck) for you

18. View attachment 29860