what kind of batteryto use in onboard preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steve-o, Jun 2, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    is there a diff in sound at all?
    i have two batterys in my spector.
    i converted it to 18 volts if this matters

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There is no difference in sound, no matter what Danelectro's advertising department is saying.

I use Panasonic NiMH 160 mAh rechargeables.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get one that lasts a long time, or is rechargeable.

I use Lithium 9 volts. I don't know how long they will last in my bass, but they are guaranteed to last 5 years in a smoke detector.
  4. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    i just got an an american fender jazz deluxe in early january. how can i tell that my preamp's battery is starting to die without using a voltage meter? does the sound quality start to go down or something????
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    when the bass starts distorting when it normally doesn't, or losing volume, then its time to replace the battery.

To test it, I normally turn my EQ on the bass fully up, full treble boost, mid boost, bass boost, to see if it'll distort.
  6. i bought a $20 digital Radio Shack battery meter for my gig box, and always carry two extra 9 volts, its essential.

7. Lithium Ion High-performance battery.

normal battery = 160 mAh
    this baby = 1600 mAh ( :D )

and it's rechargable..

cons : $ 10 a piece
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually if you use carbon/zinc batteries (like the Dano "vintage" batteries") you WILL notice a difference in sound...for the worse!!!! :rolleyes:

As far as rechargeables, NiMH are preferable over NiCads, because the latter don't really put out 9V. In a 18V circuit, it will still work well (you'll get about 14.4V) although you lose some headroom but in a 9V circuit the voltage is only 7.2V, which is not far from the voltage where a true 9V cell is starting to die.

It's easy to build a special cord to check the voltage of the battery without removing it from the bass, there was a tech column in Bass Player within the last year showing how to do this.
  9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska

Thanks for the tip on the NiMHs over the NiCads! I just picked up a Status Jonas Hellborg Signature bass, with a 36-volt (4 battery boxes!) system with an expected battery life of about 50 hours. I'm thinking it's time to start looking at rechargables... :)