What kind of books are good for teaching lessons these days?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by hunta, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I've recently been thinking about trying to teach bass lessons, and I'm a little unsure of myself as a teacher because I've never taught anyone before. I've been playing bass guitar for 11+ years, I'm currently in music school for double bass (definitely not up to teaching lessons on that yet), and I know a good bit of music theory and whatnot. I feel like I should be up to it, and I am very patient with people and I feel like I can often explain things in ways that make sense to people that have difficulty learning them "the normal" way (if that makes sense).

I'm wondering what books people are using these days to teach out of (or learn out of)? I think I'm going to teach at a beginning/intermediate level at first and see how it goes. I remember when I was first starting out I was using Chuck Rainey's Complete Electric Bass Player book. I also used the mel bay note reading studies for bass book. I still have those so I could use them, but I'm wondering if there is anything better out there? What would be really nice is a moderate level book with more interesting melodic exercises. I remember the Rainey book being quite dull.

2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    With all due respect, there really are about 50 threads on this subject, or a closely related subject. I would suggest a quick search. When I have more time, I can definitely respond with some other miscellaneous advice that has served me well.
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    How about reading the "book list" thread that's stickied?

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.