Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of brands of basses does guitar center sale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mad_world, Nov 24, 2002.

1. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    The thread sez it all.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lotsa Fender, especially Mexican, lotsa Warwick, some Yamaha, a few Pedullas, of course the ubiquitous Ibanez, Ernie Ball Music Man, maybe some Schechter. I've seen Tacoma, Ovation, Martin and even Taylor ABG's there.

I bought my Zon there, so they may have one or two of those. Selected locations (Hollywood, e.g.) even carry Lakland.

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm pretty certain it varies by location. There are three in the Detroit area. The one closest to me has a lot of Fender, Music Man, Warwick, Yamaha, Conklin Groove Tools, and Jackson. The one further south and west tends to also have Pedulla and Ibanez and not so much Music Man. The one further east and north of me has the ocassional Zon and not as much Warwick as the other two.

I haven't seen MTD, Lakland, Ken Smith, Peavey, or Elrick at any of them. There are specific stores I know of around here who carry those brands (except Lakland. I haven't found a Lakland dealer near Detroit). My guess is that part of what determines what they can carry is driven by dealer territory issues.

Peace,

James

4. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Last week In Fairfax Va. there was a real nice Brubaker.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think it depends on when they get into the market and who they are competing against.

Most makers allow only a certain number of retailers within a given area to prevent competition from driving down prices. So, if there is another shop that is close to GC that sells a particular kind of bass, GC might not carry it in that store even though it does in other markets.

They also vary depending on the sales history of the store. For example, the GC in my area, has dropped pretty much everything except Warwick, Fender and EBMM. They have nothing that lists for much more than $2,000 because they can't sell them.

While Chicago's GCs have plenty of Pedulla, Zon and other nicer instruments.

I wonder if they'll get Modulus now that Mars went belly up?

Chas

6. my local GC always has ungodly amounts of warwicks, fenders, and ibanez basses.... too many if you ask me.

you will generally see quite a few used basses there off all different types... nearly everytime ive gone to my local GC I have seen used Gibsons and Rickebackers, and usually an Alembic or Warrior.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    At my local GC there's always a couple Pedullas, One Ken Smith a couple of used Mike Lulls, a Hofner, and some vintage-ish fenders.

Most of the regular stuff is Jackson, Fender, Music Man, Warwick and Ibanez. They also have Tacoma, Takamine and Martin ABGs.

8. dearle

dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    you can also sometimes find Gibson and Epiphone basses every now and then. But they mostly sell Fender and Music Man.

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    There's something I've never seen at a GC. ABGs.

Peace,

James

10. You couldn't throw a rock in my local GC without hitting a Squier or Ibanez GSR. But the better stuff (Fender, Warwick, MusicMan) is way up high, out of reach of the thrown rocks. I've not seen much else at mine, the occasional Groove Tools or Schecter, but never a Zon, Lakland, Pedulla, or anything like that. Our GC is in a mall, so I think they're catering to parents more than musicians.

11. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    The one in Atlanta has the above mentioned basses (EBMM, Fender, Ibanez, Warwick). They have a handful of Pedullas and Groove Tools. Saw a Lakland and even a Fodera. I've never seen a six-string in there.