1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of bridge is THIS??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Aug 7, 2007.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

One of my students asked me to check his instrument's setup and I found it has this bridge, which already knew because one former student has a 35" 5-string B.C. Rich bass with exactly the same bridge, but I didn't have my camera back then:

Bridge001.

Bridge002.

Bridge003.

Bridge005.

Bridge006.

Why do I want to know about this? Because it's simply THE MOST HORRIBLE DESIGN I'VE EVER SEEN. Maybe its only advantage is that strings can be quickly loaded, but adjusting height and intonation is a real hassle. Specially intonation: You must loose an hex screw (clearly seen in the fourth picture on top of the G string) that releases the saddle and then it freely slides in its slot, so you must be very careful on not let it go all the way, just move it a little, and then tighten the screw again. What a nightmare! As I told the B.C. Rich owner a couple years ago when I saw this bridge for the first time: What were they thinking? Something for "Amazing Discoveries" or what? Maybe an uneducated opinion, but I can't see why someone would like to use a bridge like this. Most people say that the Rickenbacker 4003 bridge is the worst and less friendly bridge, but I just need one of these:

SDs.

And no problems trying to setup my Ric.

So, just for the sake of curiosity I'd like to get some info about this "marvellous" bridge. Any similar experiences with this or is there something I don't know that might make me change my opinion? Thank you in advance!

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The design itself doesn't look too bad to me but I hate how far the screws stick out over the top of the saddles. No big deal when playing with my fingers which is most of the time, but when I want to use a pick and mute with the side of my hand that would be a PITA.

3. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    did he catch many fish with it?

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Looks like a fake Hipshot Style A bridge, but the real ones have a much more user friendly design.

5. a couple of years back, there used to be an e-bay shop called "custom shop parts", or something like that...

any way...I bought some monorail style bridge pieces from them, the blocks on the monos were EXACTLY like the blocks in that bridge...

by the way...I used the blocks on my wishbass...I carved channels into the top for the blocks to slide...works great...much better than the corian prism thingy that wish uses...

6. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    These are asian made bridges. You'll find them on ebay for about $40-50. They are crappier copies of ABM bridges.

I personally like the way those bridges are made (ABM, not asian copies) and the way the intonation is, but hey, tastes are personal ;)

7. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Spector and Steinberger basses use bridges with similar "free floating until locked" saddles. It isn't that big a deal. If you think THAT one is a pain, try the Kahler where the whole saddle/string anchor moves front/backwards. You need to loosen the string all the way, move the saddle to where you think it should go, lock the whole works down, tune back up, if you're off, start over.

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    bb001.

Same thing Schecter calls their "S-Tek" bridge. Also used on BCR NJ series, and who knows how many other MIK imports.

Once I got over the initial shock I began to really like this bridge design. No intonation screws to get bent or stripped, turn your saddles off horizontal axis, or tilt your saddles off vertical axis. No useless springs to rattle. Everything gets locked down tight. And it's top loading.

9. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
  10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Its a "fork" design. ABM and ETS do fancy versions of this design.

11. My schecter has a bridge like that, 'S-tek' I believe.... no complaints here