Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of cabinet for Acoustic Model 450

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by taha, Apr 4, 2003.

1. taha

taha

Nov 11, 2002
    I have a old Acoustic Model 450 head from 70's for which I need a cabinet now. I'm quite new to this from technical aspect so I would like some advice from more experienced.

The head is rated at 170 watts RMS @ 4 ohms at 5% distortion. So what kind of technical specifications would a cabinet have which suits the head?

And another thing, if some one happens to know where I could find a manual for the head in question I would be more than grateful!

TIA

-Aki

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Check out the unofficial Acoustic site (link below). Looks like this head was originally paired up with a 2-15" bottom.

I've noticed that the older bass heads usually don't sound very good with today's 2-way or three-way cabs hi-fi style cabs. They might sound better with the same style cabs that they were designed for back in the old days, such as full range 1-15", 2-15", 1-18", 4-12", etc.

Unoffical Acoustic Web Site

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a 215 212 cab that i would let go cheap!
    it just screams!!

steve

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a 30 year old Acoustic 150b head, which sounds awful with my SWR 1x15 and 2x10 cabs. I would agree with the recommendation to pair it with a vintage 2x15 cab.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    ditto the 106 2x15 bottom or 301 folded horn 18"; i have the 140/106 Acoustic i bought around '74 or 75; a yamaha ne-1 parametric helps get a nice "scooped" sound out of it! Luv ya Blue!!

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I was messing around a week or so ago and found that my Acme B2 (4 ohm) sounded pretty good with my 450 head. Not too loud, but sounded good with the tweeter turned down and the midrange turned up.

I used my 450 head with an EVM 15B (in an EV TL806 cabinet) for practice...that pair was LOUD, amazingly so. A 2x15 would be great:bassist:

I'm sure that it would kill with an 8x10 too. Just before I sold my 370 head I plugged it in an Ampeg 810 and was blown away.

I'm considering buying an SWR Big Ben for my 450...I suspect that would be a good combo as well.

I'll check to see if I have a manual for the 450...I don't recall if I do.

7. taha

taha

Nov 11, 2002
    Ok, thanks you all.

I'll try to find one of those Acoustic's cabinets from 70's. Might not be that easy here in Finland though...

-Aki