What kind of cable do I need to connect a cab to a combo??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MTD21, Jan 14, 2004.

1. MTD21

Jan 14, 2004
    Hey all, I'm relatively new to the whole connecting a cabinet to a combo amp. My question is what kind of cable do I need to connect the cabinet to the combo amp?? Any help would be appreciated...:meh:
  2. Hi, to answer your question some more information is needed.
    1) Not all Combo's are able to connect to a cabinet. Check the back of the combo or better the manual...
    2) Then check the plugs used on the combo as well as the cabinet. I think in most cases a 6mm Jack is used. But is also could be a speakon, XLR or banana plugs.
    3) Buy a speaker cable with the required plugs at both ends. :) ...

Please note that a speaker cable is something different then the cable you use to connect your bass to the amp. The gauge of a speaker cable is much thicker as it has to transport higher currents. Use a gauge of 2,5mm2. Also keep it as short as possible.
  3. MTD21

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm using a CRATE BX100 and I want to connect a Gallien-Krueger Backline 410BLX 4x10 cabinet to it.
  4. MTD21

Jan 14, 2004
    here are the product specs of my CRATE

Output Power Rating: 100 watts RMS @ 1% THD, 4 ohms 120 VAC

Speaker Size and Rating: (1) Crate Custom Design 15", 150 watts, 2" voice coil

Graphic EQ: 24dB range @ 50Hz, 100Hz, 225Hz, 625Hz, 1.6kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, 16kHz

Input Impedance: 200k ohms

Maximum Signal Accepted: 15 volts peak to peak

Gain: 65dB w/EQ flat, contour off @ 1kHz

Line Output Jack: 2 volts peak to peak @ full rated power

Balanced Line Out Jack: 2 volts peak to peak @ full rated power w/600 ohm load

Signal to Noise: 65dB below full power, tones flat, contour off, gain and level @ 10

Power Requirements: 120VAC, 60Hz, 115VA; 110/115VAC, 50/60Hz, 115VA; 230VAC, 50/60Hz, 115VA

Size and Weight: 25"H x 20.75"W x 15.75"D, 67 lbs

and here are the specs of the cab I want

8 ohms
    400 Watts
    4xGK-Paragon, Stamped Frame, 10",
    100W 32ohm High Presence Voice Coil.
    50 Hz to 3 kHz + 5 dB.
    1x1/4" Full Range Only.
    Heavily Braced Cabinet,
    Black Carpet Covering,
    16 Gauge Steel Grill,
    Nickel Plated Castors
    and Custom Tooled Interlocking Corner System.
    70 lbs.
    23"W x 23"H x 18"D

like I said, I'm new to the whole connecting a cab to my combo, but I know my combo CAN do it, so I'm just clueless on what cable I should buy...
  5. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    according to the crate website, it looks like your ext. speaker jack is wired in series with the internal speaker. Your power will actually drop if you add another cab. you may still get desireable results by adding more speaker cone area, but I just don't know for sure of the effects of doubling speakers while halving output.

6. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    It would think that your BX100, with 100w at 4 ohms, would have a very difficult time pushing that 4x10 cab, especially since if the internal speaker will be connected in series (which is sort of odd).

The manual doesn't say what the impedance of the internal speaker is - but I would guess 4 ohms. Adding the 8 ohms 4x10 - in series - would give you 12 ohms, which would probably drop total power to 40 watts - and that probably would not be a good result.

OR, it may be (though I would not call this "in series") that the Crate cuts off the internal speaker when an external cab is attached - in which case your impedance would match the ext cab - 8 ohms and the amp would probably put out about 60w. This still would be considered "underpowered."

Since the BX100 user's manual is very bad, I would suggest that you call Crate and ask them the following (before you buy a ext cab):

1) What is the impedance of the BX100 internal speaker - 4 ohms or 8 ohms?
    2) Is the ext speaker output really in series with the internal speaker - or does the internal speaker get disconnected when an external is attached? (note that you add the impedences for two speakers in series)
    3) Given 1 and 2, do they have any suggestions for an external cab (impedance, efficiency)?

As for your original question, you want a 1/4"-1/4" speaker cable (not an instrument cable), in as short a length as you can get away with. Look for 16 gauge or larger (i.e. 14 ga, 12 ga).