1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of cables do i need for my rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. orskard


    Mar 17, 2004
    im building a rack and am wondering what kind of cables i need. so far here is what i want to get

    BBE BMAX pre
    QSC power amp
    Furman Power conditioner

    run into my avatar 2x10

    do i use just regular 1/4th guitar cables to connect power to pre and to the cab??

    or do i use the speakon or whatever other plugs are back there


  2. Lyle Caldwell

    Lyle Caldwell

    Sep 7, 2004
    XLR (mic) or 1/4" (instrument) cables from the pre to the power amp.

    Speakon or 1/4" speaker cable from the power amp to the cab.

    Do NOT use instrument cables from the amp to the cab. Speaker cables are heavy guage two conductor cables. Instrument cables are small guage single conductor cables with shield.
  3. bass guitar ------------> pre-amp (instrument cable durrrr)

    pre-amp -------------> power-amp (instrument cable)

    power-amp ------------> bass cab (SPEAKON)

    it seems easy until you see the back of the power-amp.
  4. orskard


    Mar 17, 2004
    speakon for the cab??

    my cab only has 1/4ths on it...im guessing there is a 1/4th to speakon.

    anything else?

  5. how old is your avatar?

    it should have a speakon on it its like a big circle.