What kind of deal does guitar center give ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, May 21, 2005.

1. on trade ins? are the good, worth it? I have a 2x10 bass cab i am needeing to get rid of
  2. If by deals, you mean they shank your wallet, then you have an answer. Do NOT go through guitar center to get rid of equipment if at all possible.
  3. this man speaks the truth
  4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Yes. This is true. Haven't found a store yet that gave a good deal, actually. Once or twice I've been offered more from GC than from some other store, but also the other way 'round. There's always the classifieds here or elsewhere, but cabs are tough what with the shipping hassle and all. I've ended up keeping all the cabs I wanted to get rid of, and finding alternative uses for them. Like furniture. A 2X10 could be a lamp stand, or end table. Makes for a novel decor. And if you have an old power amp laying around, your home stereo can get pretty loud. Often bad sounding, but still loud. Yay.
  5. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    GC, like most large stores (Sam Ass comes to mind) will break it off in your ass and/or bend you over the desk and breach load you on a trade in if you give them the opportunity. You're better off selling it on your own, then taking the cash and buying.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Look at it this way:

You sell direct and the person buying it pays what its worth.

You sell it to Guitar Center and they pay a lot less than its worth so they can sell it for what its worth in the future.
  7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    GC gives people 1/2 of the value they plan on selling it for (in most cases). If it's worth $399, expect $200, give or take $50.

I have been there, done it, it felt good. But I also told people to go to Ebay once they got pissed at me for the lowball.

If I were you, I wouldn't trade gear unless you plan on using it as a bargaining chip. In other words, if you want to buy a bass they have, say "I'll give you this cab and $XXX to get that bass." If they can take a price down on a bass to make it happen, they will. It will seem like they are giving you more, but they are just charging less. Sneaky sneaky.

As always, I will be happy to tell anyone the facts of GC, just ask.
  8. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Don't do it. All they'll give you is a good shagging.
  9. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I think you GC employees should start your own consulting firm or at the very least, a website.

GuitarCenterExposed.com !
  10. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    There are enough of us to start a freaking company... but unfortunately, it would be a lot like GC, except full of pissed off and lazy former employees. Like Sam Ash.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Funny you say that. One of my ex-coworkers just got a job at Sam Ash.
  12. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The GC and Sam Ash near me (or where I used to be) are a block from each other, so I know at least 3 people who did the old switcheroo.

I figure SA does the same with trades, it's just all retail in the long run, you know? GC doesn't buy NEW gear at near their price, then sell it for a slight gain, they pay wholesale, then mark it up. That's retail around the board.