What kind of Dean is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cthulhu, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I was on the net, looking for fretless basses that were reasonably priced, and I came across this:

[​IMG]

It kind of looks like a Dean Edge... But why does it have the P+J pickups instead of the soapbars? Plus, it looks like some kind of toggle switch on near the controls... The seller is referencing this as a Dean fretless, but I've never seen one like this before. I checked the Dean site, and it doesn't look like one of their basses. Anyone?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to play a Dean bass. Dean basses are a frined of mine. That is no Dean Bass.

.... Seriously it doesn't look like any Dean model I've ever seen or heard of and I'm a big fan.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    So A dean Neck on another body? That is definately a Dean Logo.

4. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    That is definitely a Dean logo, but the headstock doesn't look quite right. A little too "pointy" and symmetrical when compared to the other Dean basses.

5. That is a dean... from the 'tropical era', when the company had a different owner.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I really think that that is from either the late 70's or early 80's. I seem to remember them looking like that.

7. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Anything I should be on the lookout for if I wanted to buy this creature? Fretboard? Controls?

8. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    But work/family/snowstorms have kept me from personally visiting the store where it is at. I'm still wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for if I want to evaluate this beast. Used fretless basses make me a bit nervous, since I'm not sure what degree of wear & tear is acceptable on the fretboard.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

9. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    The neck looks exactly like my old dean edge from `91..
    [​IMG]

It looks like a model from mid `80 made in Korea by Samic.... not sure though.