Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of Dean is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cthulhu, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I was on the net, looking for fretless basses that were reasonably priced, and I came across this:

[​IMG]

It kind of looks like a Dean Edge... But why does it have the P+J pickups instead of the soapbars? Plus, it looks like some kind of toggle switch on near the controls... The seller is referencing this as a Dean fretless, but I've never seen one like this before. I checked the Dean site, and it doesn't look like one of their basses. Anyone?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to play a Dean bass. Dean basses are a frined of mine. That is no Dean Bass.

.... Seriously it doesn't look like any Dean model I've ever seen or heard of and I'm a big fan.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    So A dean Neck on another body? That is definately a Dean Logo.

4. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    That is definitely a Dean logo, but the headstock doesn't look quite right. A little too "pointy" and symmetrical when compared to the other Dean basses.

5. That is a dean... from the 'tropical era', when the company had a different owner.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I really think that that is from either the late 70's or early 80's. I seem to remember them looking like that.

7. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Anything I should be on the lookout for if I wanted to buy this creature? Fretboard? Controls?

8. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    But work/family/snowstorms have kept me from personally visiting the store where it is at. I'm still wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for if I want to evaluate this beast. Used fretless basses make me a bit nervous, since I'm not sure what degree of wear & tear is acceptable on the fretboard.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

9. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    The neck looks exactly like my old dean edge from `91..
    [​IMG]

It looks like a model from mid `80 made in Korea by Samic.... not sure though.