1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what kind of elictric bass is this jazz cat playing somewhere in the 60's??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by donnyfied74, May 5, 2010.

1. 70's maybe. Custom made?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

No idea, but in my version of hell, that song would play 24/7.

3. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    Is this some kind of keylogger? he posted it twice in a very small period of time.

4. Those slide switches look familiar to me --

Fullscreen%20capture%20552010%2033850%20PM.

Almost 20 frets too!

Adobe%20Flash%20Player%20552010%2033813%20PM.

Fullscreen%20capture%20552010%2033857%20PM.

5. Pretty cool clip. Don't remember the show, but dig the chest mounted mics and vibe solo. Looks like a Teisco bass but nothing on the headstock.

6. I bet it's one of those cheap knock-off guitars that came out of Japan in the early '60s.

Those switches were on another bass I owned a long time ago too - but I thought it was either a St George or Regis.

F'rinstance, I bought this relic for $2.00 at a yard sale a few months ago. It's really not a good guitar by any stretch of the imagination - notice the slides on it too ::

100_6065.

100_6066.

See? I said it was a cheapie :::

100_6064.

Don't ask about the colored nail polish on 'things' on it. It could be stickers!

7. In *my* version, once is enough.

8. i actually liked the tune. cool harmonies mixed with jazz, sounds like psychedelic jazz to me :)

looks like an old kay, teisco, goya, kent, greco, etc. MIJ short scale guy. can be had on ebay for under $600.

9. I'd totally play that bass. Kinda liked the song as well.

10. I think it is a made in Japan Kay. I have seen Kays with that headstock, but I couldn't make out the logo on this one. I really was impressed with the microphone mounts.

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    At first I thought it was a Hagstrom, but it probably is a Kay. Google imaged "Kay bass guitar" and I'm more inclined to believe that.

12. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Looks sorta like an Eko...

EDIT:
    Looks like this guitar:
    cobrared1puup.

With this headstock:
    kawaigreenburstup.

13. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Can't pinpoint it yet, but my best hunch is that it's something in the Kawai/Sekova/Kingston family (these often differ in name only). Specifically, the skewed Jaguar-like switchplate is a detail I've only seen on Sekovas. The curvy single-line headstock is another characteristic. Kawai bought the Teisco operation in 1967.

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That is definitely the right headstock shape. The Kay headstock that others are thinking of is this one:

kay_speed_demon.

There are some other Kay (and related) headstocks here, and none of them are the same as the one in the OP: http://kingofkays.com/American.aspx

15. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Okay, after investigating a bunch of interesting but inconclusive leads I think this must be it. Below are some pics of a partially disassembled "Dyko" guitar (found on eBay). It matches the bass in the clip pretty nicely. This must be among the most obscure of MIJ brands - there's almost nothing on the web about it, and no mention at all of a bass, let alone a pic. Dyko, huh?

dyko1.
    dyko3.
    dyko4.
    dyko2.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Dyko it is!

17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    New one on me... NEVER heard of 'em....

18. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The similarity between the names "Eko" and "Dyko", with the same headstock, makes ya wonder about a connection there.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Eko means "phlegm" and Dyko means "mucus," so I can see the connection.