Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of epoxy for defretting?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hujo, Aug 2, 2002.

1. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi. I've decided to defret my old Danelectro, but i'm kind of confused.. I want to cover the board with epoxy, but I don't know which kind to use. When people discuss this here, they just say epoxy. Can I use any off-the-shelf two-part epoxy, or does it have to be a special kind? And how much epoxy does it usually take to cover a fingerboard? Also, while at the hardware-store, I found this "polyurethane sealant" that I thought might be good, since I know some companies use a polyurethane finish on their boards. Could anyone help me with any of this?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I was told to use a quick drying polyurethane spray.

Jaco used boat epoxy...

3. I use a Minwax Polycrylic. Its a polyurethane based acrylic. Very resiliant, with no sacrifice in tone.

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Get thee to a boat store for Petit's Poly-Poxy. It comes in two separate cans which you mix together to taste. I did the neck of a fretless Warwick Corvette and it looks like a Pedulla factory job! MWAH.