1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of Fender is this!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEKer, Aug 9, 2012.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    OK, a bassist friend is screaming about an old bass he lost years ago. He says it was a Fender (with logo) with 3-way switch for pickup selection and a phase switch. Humbucker in neck position, single coil jazz in bridge position. Odd blue color, rosewood fretboard, 1980-something, not quite standard P or J body shape, not jaguar. 34". Swears it was a Fender. For the life of me I cannot imagine what he is talking about. I suggested he had a heavily modded bass with a fake Fender logo slapped on it. He says no.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

2. Coldmilk

Coldmilk

Jun 13, 2011
    San Diego
    The 80's Jazz bass specials?

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's what I'm thinking as well, but only if humbucker = standard P pickup.

I'm not sure if they had a phase switch either, and I think they started production a little later around 84'

Show him a picture of Duff McKagen's bass.

4. Sounds like a Stu Hamm. Though those are more green, its a teal-ish green.
    Or maybe one of Sheehans?
    His Yamaha sig looks like a Fender.

5. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Hmm...That's a difficult one. I don't know any Fenders from the 80's with two switches, or it'd have to be the Precision Elite:
    timecapsu-1284137018-51255.

6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Says it had a humbucker (Gibson style), not a split-coil P.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Probably a modded bass...

As mentioned above, the Billy Sheehan Attitude has similar specs, but no jazz pickup, still no phase switch and it's not a Fender. I'm sure plenty of people were hacking up their basses back then to make a copy of it though.

IMG_1121.

IMG_1122.

8. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Yep, it's impossible that it's an original model from the 80's. The only bass with a Gibson-like humbucker in the neck position. The only bass that Fender built that has that is the Telecaster bass that was built from '67 until '79:
    1974-Fender-Telecaster-Bass.
    Someone must have added a Jazz pickup later, like this, which has a pickup switch and a phase switch as well.
    GsFenderTelecasterBass.

9. almost sounds like a Roscoe Beck except that had 2 hums and was from the '90s

Roscoe%20IV%20helemaal%20zonder%20flits%202.

10. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Actually, the 4 string version was mid 2000's.

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I don't know of any older Fender bass that has a "phase switch". I think the guy is mistaken.

12. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    I think the guy didn't have an original bass, check my previous post ;)

13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

14. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    That's what all I've been telling him-MODDED, DUDE! There is no mysterious and rare Fender as he described. But I promised I would present it to TB for a "definitive" answer (can't find an answer here---an answer doesn't exist!). He is not a "joiner" no nix on joining TB himself-------:rolleyes:

So there--I did my due diligence for him---NO FENDER, NO WAY. MODDED or some other brand of bass with a fake Fender sticker. Jeez!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Sounds like my '87 Jazz Bass Special except for the phase switch.

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    And the Gibson style humbucker at the neck.

17. Lacking a pic, we are going on a dude's secondhand description, from his memory... Does dude know what a Humbucker or phase switch looks like? Not doggin, just sayin

18. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The guy described the p/u to the OP as a "Gibson-style humbucker, not a split P".