What kind of fingerboard do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alex1984, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    What kind of wood is on your neck? What are the characteristics of different fingerboard woods (maple, rosewood, ebony)?

Sorry if this seems like a newbie question.

I'm just wondering since I have 2 Sterlings (both with maple), and thinking whether or not changing the neck on one of them can give me more tonal varieties. If so, does anyone know anywhere that I can get Sterling necks from?

Any inputs will be appreciated! :D

2. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Wenge because that's what came stock with it and I like the grain.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Rosewood is my fave, excellent sound baqlance and woody char add. Ebony and wenge are nice too. A bit harder sound, or snappier if one prefers that term. Perhaps a tad brighter then rosewood for ebony. But not as bright as maple. I dont like maple as they have to be finished rather then plain and they add more brightness then I like. I've owned rosewood, ebony, and wenge fretboarded basses. Never owned, and never will own a maple fretboard bass or guitar. Both my current ones have rosewood.

4. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I always prefer maple both aesthetically and for feel, I find rosewood to be rather ugly nor am I a fan of ebony.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Maple or rosewood. I'm fine with either.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Dark for dark sounds.

Light for bright sounds.

It's a rule dontcha know.

:rolleyes:

7. Maple. Because it's sexy. Also, ebonol. Because it's cheap.

8. Ebony, because that is what came attached to my bass and my new fingerboard from status hasn't arrived yet.

lowsound

9. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yep. And I honestly don't believe it makes that much difference, tonally.

10. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I don't believe it makes any difference tonally.

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Me too and three ^^^^........

1 Rosewood
    2 Ebony
    1 Mac ebony
    1 Cherry

12. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Let's what I've got see: Macassar Ebony, Rosewood, Maple, Persimmon, Wenge, Jatoba, Purpleheart - no preference as long as they're level and set-up.

13. I'm currently playing on a '08 MIA Fender Jazz Bass V with a Rosewood FB. I have other basses that have maple, but the Rosewood happens to give me a deeper, darker tone.

I've never really been one to preference Maple or Rosewood boards, it just happens to be whatever comes with the bass that I like.

14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I've basses with rosewood, ebony, and maple fingerboards glued to maple necks, and with one-piece maple necks. Why? Because the basses all sound great. I've played too many basses with so many combinations of woods to accept the conventional wisdom that maple boards are inherently brighter than rosewood. There are simply too many variables involved, and too many examples to the contrary.

John

15. bass12

bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I have a bunch of basses with different 'boards on 'em: rosewood, macassar ebony, wenge, phenolic and maple. I like them all. Frankly, it's hard to know how much of my bass' sounds are related to the fingerboard wood because each one of my basses is quite different in terms of overall construction, pickups and electronics. Having said this, I can still tell the difference between maple and rosewood, and the phenolic board definitely stands out from the rest. If I had to choose only one wood for my fingerboards it would probably be maple (though wenge would be a close second).

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021