Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of finish do you like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RevGroove, May 17, 2004.

1. Carpeted

25 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Painted

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Leather-like

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. It doesn't matter, as long as it sounds good!!!

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What kind of finish do you prefer for your amp/cabinet/combo?

Personal pick...carpeted! Some say it's hard to keep in good shape, but if you're careful, then it shouldn't be an issues. Black is the colour of choice...

2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Carpeted is nice but with two dogs and a cat the hair becomes a problem.

3. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I dig the sunburst finished combos Fender had a little while back for their Devilles, I believe.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    wood like my old Bag Ends is my preference. I'd love a tweed bass rig though :bassist:

5. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Industrial rubber flooring.

Skillfully applied bed liner as an alternative.

6. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Tolex.

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    For me, carpet last the longest but I like the look of mesa's tolex the best.

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

Tolex...yes, i should have maybe made that option available instead of leatherette...

:meh:

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Deep breathing followed by a "you were great".

10. :p

I'd like to see more tweed in the bass gear for sale ^_^.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

^ ^ ^ Red tolex. :cool:

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've only ever used carpet. One day I'll use that paint on "Rock Hard" stuff but for now, the carpet is doing the trick.

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I voted for painted. My Ampeg BXT410HL cabs have the black ozite carpet material. I like the spray-on finish Ampeg puts on their Pro Series cabs, but I prefer the sound of my cabs, over the Pro series cabs. My complaint with the black carpet material is that IMO it's tough to keep clean. It's also not as durable as I'd like :crying: . I'd really like to try the Rhino Liner material as a covering.

Come to think of it, the tolex on my old Ampeg 810E cab was'nt very tough either. :scowl:

14. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The cabs I've owned have been carpeted or covered in tolex. I have one cat, and I had to take a lint-roller to the cab every few days. :meh: The tolex on my Ampeg is doing good, but I hate just how easily it tears. :spit: I think tolex or vinyl are the best looking finishes.

I do have a thing for Mesa's Road Ready stuff... you really can't beat a cab that has a flight case built into its design.

:bassist:

15. Mesa Rhino Vynil or the Road Ready cabs.

16. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Any other thoughts/opinions?

17. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    My fave was the padded tucknroll stuff on the old Kustom amps and cabs. But only for the cushioning cause they looked awful when they got torn ;) I never did really like the rat fur that seems to be on alot of cabs these days. The smell of smoke,beer and other odors will follow you after a gig. And who wants to rent a carpet cleaner when they get dirty. I like the finish that Dr.Bass is using. Some kind of truck bed liner spray on. Appears to be pretty durable.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My cat... correction... my WIFE'S @$%^& cat... is destroying my carpet-covered cabs. I might could live with the hair, but she sharpens her claws on them and is pulling the fibers loose so that the cab is becoming "fluffy" in spots. I went so far as trying to "shave" one of the cabs with a set of hair clippers. I stopped when I noticed I could see bare wood through some trimmed areas... not good.

:mad:

Aside from that, the carpet is tough to keep new-looking, especially if you gig actively and often have other people handling your gear. And it does hold smoke smells, too.

19. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    yes, and the cats scratching the carpet off.

20. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

What's that stuff? I am about to cover my 8-10 tomorrow. I have asked around for advice on the bed liner, and can't get any answers but $300. Is the flooring mat'l expensive? Where can it be got? Thanks, Bob