What kind of flatwounds does everyone use

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 2BitBassPlayer, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Chances are this has already been posted..I want to try a set of Flatwounds on my bass. What type does anyone recomend and why.

BTW i play mostly blues.
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Ive never used flats but everyone on talkbass seems to like TI jazz flats. try those unless you get told otherwise...
  3. TI Jazz flats are great, for what I use them for. They give me kind of an upright sound though, which may or may not be what you're looking for.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Fender 9050's might be good. They're deep and thumpy, although the G can be a little twangy. It's manageable, though. Ernie Balls are pretty good, too, if you're looking for the "traditional" sound. These aren't low tension like the TI's. If you can handle low-tension, wiggly strings, use TI's. They have a very full, deep sound, with good definition.
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    TI Jazz flats on my P bass.
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Lakland Joe Osborn.
  7. I use Fender or D'Addario flats. I like them both. Tried the TIs. Good sound, but I didn't like the feel. I also tried Rotosound about two years ago. They were the stickiest, worst playing strings that I've ever used. I've used others through the years, but I ended up settling on the Fenders for 4-strings, and the D'Addarios for 5s.
  8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Well.....the Rotosound flats are my favorite. I agree with Sammy that they are the roughest flats but I've found them to be the most versatile of the bunch because of their high end. They are punchy compared to typical flats and you can slap on them and get pretty close to a "hifi" tone if you're into that sorta thing. Very high tension.

Labella flats were by far the best constructed flats I've ever played. SSSMMMMOOOOOTH feel, medium tension, the closest to stand up sounding I ever got on an electric bass. Even though they sound dark, the harmonics you can get off them puts most roundwound strings to shame. If they weren't so dark, they would be my faves.

The Fenders are ok, very mellow with muted highs and mids. Great for reggae and R&B. I have them on my P and it gets a good trad tone.

I thuoght Dean Markley's were alright but lacking personality, sounded alot like Fender.

I want to try TI's but I am not a fan of boingy strings and they're kinda $$$$$$$$$.
  9. I wanna try some flats out...what is a good 5 string set? I play mostly metal...yes, I am not the brightest LED on the amp...but still I wanna try 'em out.
  10. I've got TI's on my 6er, and they dont seem very loose to me, but I've got the heavier of the two guages available.
  11. I use D'Addario Chromes - I find them to be a very well made string with a good deal of life to their sound. TI's are just way too thin for me so I didn't like them.
  12. what do the Laklands feel/sound like?
  13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have the Laklands on my 55-94 fretless. They're not as bright as the TI's. They're not as Slinky, either. Still, I like them a lot, they're very easy playing, and can be EQ'd for a brighter sound.
  15. MypartnerStinks

Jun 19, 2001
    I just put a set of Thomastik-Infeld's on my 5 string bass. They defently give you a Natural sound like an upright bass or about as close as i have ever heard to that on an electric bass. That type of sound would probably be a great for most blues. They are very slick and low tension, so they are easy to play for me. I really like them i just wish they weren't so expensive.
  16. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Right now I'm using Fender flats (45,60,80,95.) They have a bit of a coarse feel but seem to have more highs and cut than other flats I've tried. Wheteher or not I stick with them will be determined in time.
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I use Thomastiks on my short-scale Gibson, this turns that bass into the ultimate dub-machine...