1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of glue to use for a fallen off nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by soong, Apr 22, 2010.

1. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    All jokes aside...

The nut off my TRB convienently fell right off as I was giving my TRB a fresh of strings for the first time in 2 years. Was wondering, what kind of glue should I use to reapply and is there anything i should know? Im a complete dufus when it comes to repair, so ive got no idea.

Its a plastic nut (i think) so will something as strong as Araldite be ok? Super glue? UHU glue stick? lol.

Lemme know guys, ive got a gig real soon and Amber (my TRB) needs to be in action...

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    What is Araldite?
    NEVER USE SUPER GLUE ON YOUR BASS.
    Normal wood glue will do fine. Elmer's, Titebond, whatever.

Clark Dark likes this.
  3. Araldite - Epoxy Resin two-pack stuff.

Serious question though...

Why not superglue? I have a brass nut that's being persnickety at the moment & was thinking a couple of spots of CA would sort it out - I wasn't planning on flooding it.

Pete.

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Elmer's white glue is fine or the aforementioned wood glue (tite bond, hide glue, etc). Remember the goal is to make it so the nut is held in place but can be removed if necessary. Superglues don't release cleanly and can even splinter the wood.

5. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    In many cases no glue at all is necessary since the strings will keep the nut in place. Two tiny drops of ordinary wood glue should do the trick.

MCF and pcake like this.
  6. simonsaysred

simonsaysred

Aug 23, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Yeah... I don't think nuts are usually glued in on any kind of guitar. They're often fitted tightly so they SEEM glued, but they're not. I wouldn't glue it.

7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    ?? A dot or two of superglue is just fine. So is woodglue.

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    yessir. :)

9. Yes, the emphasis being on A DOT OR TWO. This is most emphatically not an application where "more is better".

The strings hold it on anyway - there's no need to do more than keep it in place while you're installing the strings. Also, you don't want residue building up underneath it.

10. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Also, change the strings one at a time ;)

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I play lefty upside down so I flip the nut on every lefty bass I buy. I used to glue them down but as long as the strings are reasonably straight over the nut to the tuning peg, I rarely bother gluing anymore. It hasn't made any difference that I can discern.

12. Super Glue

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    A couple drops of the thick gel type is best. The thinner stuff is better suited for wicking fretwork, cracks, crevices, whatever.

Riis

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    superglue is fine. it dries brittle (for good tone transfer) and as long as you don't use that much, the nut can be removed later easily.

also, unless the nut sits so tight in the slot that you need to gently tap it in with a small hammer, you do need to use glue of some sort.

15. jerryjg

jerryjg

Aug 20, 2006
    Get to a doctor right away..don't try and glue it back on!:D

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Absolutely. As Long as it's not overdone, just 2 small dots of it. "Duco" cement, will work as well.

17. pbassist

pbassist

Nov 2, 2008
    I also have a TRB, and I think that the nut is not factory glued and it's not necessary, as the headstock is angled and the strings tension hold well the nut. As I always change the string one by one, this is no problem for me.

18. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you have to change your strings a certain way to keep the nut from falling out, you need to get that fixed. it could even be losing sustain from the lack of a solid anchor point for the strings.

19. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey! I play left handed upside down strung right too! I wonder how many of us there are? :)
    Anyway, I just switched to brass nuts and I'm trying it out not gluing them The brass nut does slide easier.

20. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's not how it's supposed to work, they should always be glued in. (they are from the factory and after any competent repair.)

mech likes this.