1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of glue to use for tolex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Busker, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Going to re-tolex an amp. What kind of glue would you use? Thanks

2. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    I have had great success with water-based contact cement, such as that which is available through Antique Electronic Supply. It goes on thin, there's virtually no odor and it does not cause adverse reactions with the Tolex.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, water based contact cement is good. Make sure you sand the wood perfectly clean first.

4. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    Some site and tutorials suggest using Elmer's Glue. Don't do it. It was my one and only tolex job, and it doesn't adhere and tighten like some more traditional tolex glues do.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Last time I did one, I used Weldwood Contact Cement - a 32oz can will do a 410 with almost half to spare - and it's handy stuff to keep around after you're done... Make sure your work area is well ventilated, and I'd give it a week or so to dry in real well before cutting in the seams - as some shrinkage will occur...

- georgestrings

6. I've done a few w/ the brown bottled hide glue and i've used tightbond.

probably just tightbond from now on.

tip, use straight pins as little "nails" to hold in place till glue dries, don't nail it all the way down, just maybe a 1/4 inch penetration. after it dries you can pull them out, and you won't be able to see the hole left by the pins, unless you're really stretching the tolex

and masking tape, LOTS of masking tape to hold everything in place while drying.

oh, and unroll the tolex and let it lay out in the yard in the sun. the sun will heat it and soften it up some, making it easier to work with.

7. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002