What kind of head are you using? Tube, SS, Hybrid...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Feb 10, 2006.

1. All Tube

49 vote(s)
  2. Solid State

84 vote(s)
  3. Hybrid

65 vote(s)
  4. Other (Rackmountable..etc)

19 vote(s)
  1. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I'm sure this has probably been done in the past, but I did a search in the forum and got no results...Now i don't wanna start a tube vs SS battle here, I just wanna get an idea of how many people use a Tube Head, Solid State, Hybrid or other...If you voted "other" let us know what you are using :cool:

EDIT - I realize that many here have more than one head..in this instance just vote for your "main" head or the one you favour more..I know its hard but you can do it!
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I'm pretty sure there is a thread with the same poll as this somewhere, but I'll post anyways.

I have the SWR WorkingPro 700. Tube Pre with SS power. So I guess that's a hybrid, right?
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Need catagories for people who own two or more types like I do. I own an all tube head, a hybrid and some all SS heads so what do I do... :crying: :p . I'm no Tom Bowlus, but I do have a few heads... :)
  4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

was the poll set up to vote for more than one option?
  5. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Foolish me...I failed to take into account that maybe there are some people out there that have more than one head?! I thought all bass players only had one bass head, like me??? wow, I am a genius:meh: Anyways, I edited the "poll rules".. :D
  6. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm using an all tube head at the moment and love it. Not sure why I didn't jump on to this wagon earlier.

Although I might go for a lighter good SS head sometime in the near future when I don't feel like bringing a 50lbs. head (not that heavy though).
  7. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    "Other" doesn't really tell you much, does it?

SS pre and power, with "tube emulation" circuitry to give things a little warmth.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    This poll is flawed for deriving statistics from. All-tube users are much more-often very quick to take any opportunity to - uhh... brag.

9. Now, now... Jealousy isn't attractive.... :D:p *

Actually you're probably not far off the mark....:ninja:

* Just in case: I'm totally kidding. I mention this because a lot of times that doesn't come across right on the old interweb....:p
  10. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I don't always find this the case. Tubes have their place, and can make for excellent sounding amplifiers, but they're not the "best" or right. I find myself many times when wishing I had the luxury of owning a SS head, because my all-tube head doesn't always rightfully fit the context/tone I look to get in some on my playing situations.

There are many SS and Hybrid heads that I would be equally glad to own as my Trace, and be just as eager to "brag" about, in a sense. Most every amp has a situation where they're fitting, just some more than others.

This is one reason why if I did own an SVT, I'd feel awkward bringing to an intimate jazz gig one night. But if I had a rock gig the next, I'd be the perfect beast to fit the bill.
  11. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I think there's a lot more tubers on this thread than out in real life. Any catalogue, store, etc. has many more SS than tube.

IMHO - you can get better distortion with a distortion effect. And you can turn it off.
    You can also get better compression with a compressor and you can turn it off.
    Tube power amps aren't for most.
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
  13. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    are you sure the working pro is tube pre?

i was convinced its all solid state, just like the working pro 400, which i have.

from the swr site (www.swrsound.com):

"The WorkingPro 700 delivers tone and performance equivalent to the most high-end SWR amplifiers. With a lightning-quick, classic SWR solid-state preamp, a completely new rock-solid, mono-block, 700-watt solid-state power amp"

definitely not a hybrid... the SM 400/900 are, as well as the X series. but workingman and pro are all SS
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

did you report it to the mods using the little "!" in the top right of the first post asking it to be merged with an existing thread?

There are NO rules on TalkBass that say "There can be only one topic per subject" so this thread is valid.... yes, it's better to not rehash the same stuff over and over so I generally let the new thread go a little while on it's own then merge it into the old one over in "Bassists" where I have the authority to edit threads.

Here in Amps I'M JUST AN ALL TUBE HEAD USER HERE TO SHOW OFF :bassist: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :smug:
  15. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Damn I didn't realize that I could end all of humanity by mistakenly posting a thread that already exists..sorry everyone!
  16. I play through a Peavey Pro 500. Tube pre-gain and SS power amp.
  17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Wow.....you are totally right. I feel like such an ass. I have no idea why I though my pre was tube.
  18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

Sorry about that. I am used to forums that have stricter rules I guess. I shouldn't have even called anyone out on it since I am such a noob here.