Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of head do I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 84Bruiser, Sep 21, 2004.

1. 84Bruiser

84Bruiser

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm a noob to the forum, and am looking for advice.

I play an older EB Stingray5, and I have a huge Ampeg cabinet. It's an older ISO-Vent cab with 2 15s, and 2 10s.

I've heard good things about the SWR line, and I think for the 600W cab, the 550X is plenty, and since I can't find them used, I'm guessing people like them.

Anybody else heard of / use the Iso-vent style cab? any thougts on good heads?

Lemme know,
    '84

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    What kind of stuff are you looking to play?

Everyone's tastes vary, but I'm not a big fan of SWR. I don't think they have nearly the low end response of other manufacturers, but then again, several prominent rock musicians use them. Also, how much can you afford? SWR isn't bad for the money, but I would (and did) put in the extra cash for something nicer that you won't replace in six months.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with Hollowman, SWR is not for everybody. That being said, I love the SWR tone. It is a definite try before you buy type of brand though.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i always wanted to try one of the iso vent cabs - that's te one where the 2 15's face each other and are "isobaricly loaded" right?
    none of us here can tell you what to buy, we can give you subjective descriptions, but that's about it. It's kinda like you going into an ice cream shoppe and then calling your friends to poll them to see ahat flavor you should buy. I'm a big fan of the used market myself. In any event, you should try as many heads as you can, preferably with your bass and your cabinet.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Bah! Enough fair answers! Get a Trace Elliot!!(used, of course)

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The kind of head that gets you off... :eek:

7. 84Bruiser

84Bruiser

Sep 21, 2004
    Well, thanks I guess.

I found a demo 550X locally, and I'm bringing my ~140lb cab and bass in to try it next week.

Any other suggestions? I guess I'll try to find as many ~450-600W heads in my neighborhood as possible, and just pick the sound I want.

I've only played through it once or twice, and I was using a puny ~200W mixer / amp combo, not really meant for a bass. It still sounded pretty good...

Yeah, it's the 2x15 out of phase deal, and I love it.

//edit
    We play everything.
    From Weezer to White Stripes and from Rolling Stones to Dire Straits.

I'll let you guys know what I end up with, I was just looking for any opinions.
    //edit

T

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Used Eden or G-K heads are worth trying to see if you like the tone.

I don't know how much cash you have to work with, but you could get a new SansAmp RBI (or new BBE BMax or used Ampeg SVP-Pro) preamp + new QSC RMX850 (830W) poweramp for under $600 (would be cheaper used).