What kind of jam is best for toast?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jungleheat, Mar 31, 2013.

1. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Guys, I just started eating toast about 6 months ago. So far it's just been plain white Wonder bread toast, but I've been getting some breakfast offers lately and wanted to add some jam to really take my toast eating to the next level. The breakfast situations I'll be getting into will mostly be small like diners, brunch at people's houses, and of course just eating breakfast at home alone (I've been trying to eat toast at least 15 minutes a day so I get better at it). I also might try some different kind of toasts at some point like multigrain and cinnamon raisin.

Anyway, I just wanted to know, what's the best jam to use with toast? I've heard good things about strawberry and it seems really popular, but I've heard some guys are using blueberry or even apricot and wanted to know if those would work for what I'm trying to do. I have about $3.75 to spend on jam, but I could probably come up with $4.25 if I saved up for a while. How much jam do I need to last for a month? :help:

2. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Toe jam. It doesn't take long to grow it.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. vade700

vade700

Jan 12, 2012
    Well played sir, well played

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    TORTise jam. Of course... Unless it's metal toast...

6. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF
    lets jam before we turn to jelly

7. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    AMERICA
    I've been reaching for Thomas' English Muffins Multi-Grain with organic (or at least all-natural) peanut butter. The particular combinations gives me 2 things: a quick dose of protein AND a dash of somewhat guilt-free sweetness. Was using Nutella fora while but, stopped after reading the ingredient label.

If I were to go with jam it'd be some type of organic variety. Ya gotta watch the high fructose corn syrup content in the cheap stuff.

8. christw

christw Get low! Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Disclosures:
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    What's the best toast for metal?

9. I prefer Smuckers grape jam, although others swear by their strawberry. You can get them in micro jar versions for easier transport, but the 16 oz wide mouth version will give you more output with less effort. Good luck and happy jamming!

10. 90dphillips

90dphillips

Jan 11, 2012
    Murrieta
    Jam will only get you so far. You should go with orange marmalade if you're really serious about this toast thing. IMHO.

11. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    What toast is best for dropping down? I don't want it to get too muddy.

12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Vra mun da the covers.

13. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Brooklyn & Queens, NYC
  14. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Jam UNTIL we turn to jelly... be it should.

15. THE FLAVOUR IS IN YOUR FINGERS

GAWD I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THIS

16. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Aug 11, 2012
    Upstate NY, USA
    Types of jam are up to personal taste, but it's important that you don't use two different types of jam on two different pieces of toast. Matched, vertically stacked toast is the way to go.

17. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Squeeze bottle jelly is where its at these days. Why these dinosaurs would carry around heavy burdensome glass jars when you can get 99% there with a small lightweight plastic squeeze bottle is beyond me.

18. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    I would recommend trying a wide variety of jams and see what works best for you. I prefer strawberry, but grape is another one. Try to stay away from the more exotic stuff, if you need boysenberry marmalade, you're probably not very good at eating toast in the first place.

Practice eating toast in a wide variety of settings. At home, in the park, on a mountain top. Eat toast while sitting, standing, and practicing various yogic postures. And pay attention to technique: I like to eat the crust off first in a counterclockwise motion, and then finish it off in a clockwise motion.

19. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    I say, skip jam, and go for preserves! Strawberry preserves for me.

20. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    I heard if you use the jam with real sugar, you don't have to use as much as the high fructose corn syrup stuff. Is it true that it has twice as much flavor? So then a 16 oz jar with real sugar is like a 32 oz jar with HFCS? What about vintage jams with HFCS? I hear they tasted better back then.

21. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    Dave's Killer Bread, multigrain, buttered first, then thrown face down into hot cast iron and held there for a bit.

Heavy stuff.