1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of jazz bass is this??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonetazz, Jun 27, 2012.

1. stonetazz

stonetazz Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Denton, TX
    I found a Fender jazz bass in excellent condition on Craigslist for $400 and the ad claimed it was a 50th anniversary American Jazz. I wasn't sure that it was MIA or a 96 model, so I looked it up by the serial number he gave me and my search was inconclusive. The number he gave me started with an MO and I had never seen that serial number before. It does not have any markings telling where it was made either.
    I was wondering if anyone knew what year and the country of origin of this bass. Looks to be a standard from Japan. I'm not sure of the year.
    Here's the pics he gave me:

Attached Files:

2. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Ask for a pic of the serial number from the back of the headstock(where USA and re-issue serials are found) and a pic of the back where the neck meets the body(where the Made/Crafted in Japan markings are on MIJ/CIJ Fenders)

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think it's MIM

4. stonetazz

May 20, 2010
    Denton, TX
    Will do. He says that there is no other serial numbers on the bass. Looks like a 62 reissue headstock because of the emblem and the tuning pegs. I'll ask for more pics.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    My CIJ 62 RI had shorter tuner stems and slightly different head stock decal layout. Not sure about MIJ though. Here's my CIJ headstock decal...

Picture003.

The decal I'm seeing there (that more authentically replicates the vintage decal) is used on MIM and MIA Fenders.

6. stonetazz

May 20, 2010
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the input, spinaltapper. Im still trying to get a serial number from him.

7. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1... I'm thinking 60's Classic Jazz, maybe?

No matter what the place of origin, $400 looks like a pretty fair price, IMHO.

Let us know what you find out! :)

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    That is not a 60th Anniversary Jazz Bass, this is:

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I could never figure that one out. All the Japanese '62 RI basses have the wrong tuning pegs.....except for the fretless model that has the correct reverse pegs with the longer stems. Weird??

10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I could be wrong, but I thought the MIMs had the truss rod adjustment at the headstock--that black plastic washer through which you insert the allen wrench. I don't see it in the closeups of the headstock.

11. stonetazz

May 20, 2010
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the help, everyone! I was really wanting to take a look at the guitar today. He was going to meet me halfway, but he just realized that I am close to 3 hours away. I'm going to try to get a serial number from him.(he claims that there isn't one shown on the outside of the guitar.) If it seems worth it to me, ill try to meet up with him over the weekend.

12. stonetazz

May 20, 2010
    Denton, TX
    Dang, I meant 50th anniversary. I corrected it in the OP.

13. flewis

flewis Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    +1

The 60's Classic Jazz had the TR adjustment at the heel. Ask for a pic of the back of the headstock. If it's a '60 Classic, it should have the s/n. If is has the s/n starting w/ 'M", then it's the 60's Classic Jazz which is MIM.

BTW, If it's a 60's Classic Jazz, in good condition and the neck's nice, $400 is a sweet deal! :)

14. stonetazz

May 20, 2010
    Denton, TX
    He is going to check on the headstock for a serial number. He's had it for awhile and does not know much about the bass. He said he bought it from a friend and doesn't need it cause he's a guitarist.

15. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Might be a 60th anniversary Highway 1.