What kind of Jazz is this considered-Jim K??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by odie, Jul 7, 2001.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok has anyone heard these bands before?

Cinematic Orchestra

Liquid Soul

Im not a big Jazz guy, but I like trying different kinds of music, and these are two bands I really like. But I cant figure out what kind of music they are.....Jazz, Rock ?????

Help me out here y'all, that way I can look for bands that are similiar sounding.

JimK you listen to everything, you should be able to help!!:)
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...you got me on the Cinematic Orchestra; I haven't heard them. I guess now I gotta check 'em out! ;)

If I hadda categorize-
    Liquid Soul, IMO, is an R&B band...they do have some Jazz chops & they obviously listen to &/or are influenced by Jazz(like their cover of "Salt Peanuts"; too, I like their cajones for tackling & revamping tunes like "Footprints" & "All Blues").
    Oh yeah, they're definitely into Latin rhythms, too.
    Whatever they are, I like 'em a lot.
    (I know some marketeers would label Liquid Soul as Acid Jazz...whatever, Acid Jazz, IMO, = '90s RetroFunk('70s Disco + Soul + some Rap + etc).
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Jim you have to check out Cinematic Orchestra...they remind me Soul Coughing with Jazz horns and no vocals...I like them alot.

If anything check theyre Mp3's if like them buy them and let me know what type of music they are.
  4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    At last, someone who's heard of the Cinematic Orchestra!!!!!!!!!!

I heard a CO song about a year ago on Giles Peterson's BBC Radio1 show (GP was one of the guys involved in starting up the "acid jazz" scene about ten years ago).

I managed to record a bit of that song onto a tape, but it has been lost for some time. My memory of it was that it had a lot of samples in it, and felt more like "dance" music to me, although it was definitely jazz-influenced.
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I have just found a Cinematic Orchestra album called 'Motions' at www.cdnow.com - there are sound samples that you can listen to.

I think that the track I heard was called 'Diabolus', although I can't be sure because the sample is only one minute long, and the track is over nine minutes long.

I wouldn't really call this music "jazz" (strictly speaking). It could be labelled as ambient/chillout music, albeit with a jazz tinge.

6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I found them @Tower.
    One tune I sampled was definitely in an ambient vibe, similiar(maybe) to some very early Weather Report(w/ Vitous on bass).
    Another tune I sampled was, IMO, in a Hard Bop groove...sorta reminded me of Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder" or Horace Silver from that same time frame.
    Cool group.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

LIquid Soul gets played on a local smooth jazz station - a nebulous musical genre if there ever was one.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In other words - not Jazz at all! Had a gig on Saturday which involved a long drive and tried picking up Jazz FM on the radio - can't get it where I live. This is supposed to play Smooth Jazz. But the flute player and I listened for while and we agreed that none of what they play is Jazz, by anybody's definition!
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Bruce what would Liquid Soul be then?
  10. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    people on this board always commented on how Liquid soul is Acid Jazz and sounds like Groove Collective.

that made me want to hear these guys but out of the three tracks I heard they don't sound like Acid Jazz but rather like some mutant of Fusion (less jazzy and more funky).

anyway now I'm going to search for Cinematic Orchestra tunes.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not Jazz at all? ;)
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Bruce you kill me sometimes, So is it something you cant categorize?

What is this kind of music then?? And is there anything else out there like it? Inquiring minds want to know!!!
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Other bands in the same kinda bag as Liquid Soul(IMO)-

Groove Collective
    Brand New Heavies
    Boxing Gandhis(some of their 'funkier' stuff)

FWIW, Liquid Soul are in the Acid Jazz section in stores around here...
    Back in the '70s/'80s, there were two bands in town here that were as 'good' as LS...one was called Hotcakes, the other was called The Squares. Both bands had killer horn sections & killer rhythm sections + way better than average vocals.
    BTW, Oteil Burbridge was in The Squares; Benny Bialy was the original bassist in Hotcakes(he had the Jaco-thing goin' on in '73)...
    Things haven't been the same around here since those daze. ;)
  14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Jim thanks for the tip!!! Thats what I was looking for!!!

One thing that I have noticed about the Jazz/Funky stuff I listen to and like is the fact that I prefer not to have vocals, i think its because of alot of the times the vocals tend to be the weekest point, plus I like the groove and the melody of the music and the vocals are sometimes to much.