What kind of Metal would I like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Jan 27, 2004.

1. After hearing GHS, which is semi-metal (maybe fully metal, I don't know), I want to hear some more metal, but im not sure what I would like. I am a technical Jazz and rock kinda guy (Herbie Hancock, Flecktones, Zepplin, Phil Lesh & Friends, etc...) so based on that what kind of Metal do you think would sound best to me?

I heard Child of Bodom(I think thats the name) and didn't like it all. I do Like Opeth though.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Might wanna give a listen to Fate's Warning and Blind Guardian. Idk what to classify them as. metal, yet, not.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm partial to au myself.
  4. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Figjam-Blind Guardian and Fate's Warning are usually classified as Power Metal or Fantasy Metal. If you like them, try out Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Hammerfall, and Stratovarius.

Eric-If you like technical music then I suggest technical metal--Spiral Architect and Lacuna Coil are good places to start. You'd probably also like Candiria a whole lot--they're a rap/metal/jazz/fusion/hardcore mix. I'm not sure if you'd like the Industrial genre or not, but just in case check out bands like Gravity Kills, Fear Factory, and Nine Inch Nails, they're somewhat technical. You might also like metallish bands such as Zeromancer or Dope. Even though you don't like COB, I still think you should check out later Soilwork and mid-period In Flames, in my opinion they're two of the best metal bands ever. I'm assuming that you've heard of Tool so I won't include them. For good old-fashioned thrash, Matthew has got it right with Slayer. Pantera, Testament, and Nuclear Assault are also great old-school thrash bands. I hope that's enough to keep you busy for a while, if you want more then PM me--In case you haven't figured it out already, I'm a huge metalhead.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Prog and Tech Metal

6. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Try Dream Theater's 'Images and Words' CD. Disturbed's first CD. Some older Iron Maiden sounds like it would fit you bill as well. Have fun!
  7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Pain of Salvation
    Fates Warning
    Spiral Architect
    Shadow Gallery
    Symphony X
    Zero Hour
  8. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Maybe their earlier material ie: Awaken the Guardian, The Spectre Within. But anything past "No Exit" I wouldn't consider fantasy or power metal.
  9. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Your taste in music is very similar to mine. For the most part I dismiss most metal stuff, but I do like one metal band a lot. Don't know if a lot of other people consider them metal but I'd recommend TOOL.
  10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

:p j/k
  11. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    1983-1992 - Yes
  12. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Oh yeah, Ozzy era Black Sabbath is also one of my favorites. Volume 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are excellent.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Last Exit?
    Laswell, Ronald Shannon Jackson, Sonny Sharrock, & Brotzmann. Ya gotta like a band with titles like "Sore Titties" & "My Balls/Your Chin".
    I just picked up Casette Recordings(AKA From The Board) from www.downtownmusicgallery.com

Arcana...especially their 1st(a trio of Laswell, Tony Williams, & Derek Bailey).
  14. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Can you tell us a little more... for instance, what did you like about Opeth, and dislike about Children of Bodom?

Opeth is pretty unique, but if you like them you may be into Borknagar - especially their newer stuff. Other Black Metal bands may be up your alley too, but it's hard to say.

If you are into Black Sabbath, you may dig Stoner Metal - check out bands like Roadsaw, Clutch, Bongzilla, Queens of the Stone Age and stuff like that.
  15. how about some caesium, I know i want some!!!

muwhahahah! BOOM!!
  16. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, there is no other band like Opeth. But when I read the original post, the first band that came to mind was Borknagar.
  17. Definately check out the prog/technical bands people suggested.

symphony x
    spiral architect
    gordian knot
    dream theater
    liquid tension experiment

and if you like opeth check out Borknagar like Schwinn said. What didn't you like about children of bodom? If it's the romantic style guitar parts I suggest staying away from bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Nightrage and the like. If it's just the vocals that you didn't like then give them a chance. Very few people ever really like that style of vocals the first time they hear them but you just have to give it a chance and let it grow on you, like schoenberg or some of the more 'out there' jazz groups :)

18. Well the thing about Bodom was that the vocals were horrendous (like most metal band vocals)and it just didn't hit my buttons. I couldn't hear the bass and it had too much distortion. If possible I would like a band that has no vocals, seeing as most vocals are useless.