what kind of money are you getting for gigs?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Mar 6, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It occurs to me that the going rate for club bands is one of the few things that hasn't kept up with inflation in the last thirty years. In the late 70's we were getting 300 bucks for club gigs. Last night we got 300 bucks for a club gig. What's up with that?
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Medium size clubs (with in-house sound) pay anywhere from $350- $800, depending who you are and how big your following is. We were getting $550 a night at these places. Five piece band, playing three sets from 10:00pm - 2:00am.

Smaller clubs hold too many variables, depending if they had in-house sound or if you had to drag sound in there (or play garage style). If they have sound, you play for the door, if you bring it in, they would usually cover sound and you may end up with $20 a man after sound is covered. We played more than enough small places for free just to get exposure, so we could establish a following and get into bigger places.
  3. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Weddings are 2200 an up :cool:
    Corporate gigs are 2800 and up :cool:
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Our minimum is $400 for a club/bar gig. We usually run our own sound, but not always. We're a 4 piece. We usually do better than the minimum, but never double it. Our big challenge is booking. If we could get in more places, I would be very happy.
  5. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Damn. Now that's what I'm talkin' about. My next full time band is definitely gonna have to be a wedding/corporate band.
  6. same thing here MKGBasses.

7. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    haha like $50 bucks. parties :p
  8. thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Bars: $600 for one night/$1000 for two
    Street Dances: $900 - $1200 per night

We're a five piece band with a sound man. We split it six ways.
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Whatever we can get. Our newly-gotten house band gig pays $1000 a weekend split 4 ways. We do 2-3 weekends a month, all back to back. Good pay considering only one setup and teardown per 2-3 gigs.
  10. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002

Don't move to Louisville if you want to make money playing medium club gigs.

Standard pay here is usually $150-250 per night, depending on the club. (playing originals.)

I knew it was bad, but didn't really realize it was THAT bad.
    I still do it and will continue to do so.

[edit] That's the total pay for the band, not individual.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The times have changed-
    The '70s
    My high school 'garage band' of 4 members(i.e. no real PA) would gig on weekends for $200 per night. These were NOT clubs...high school dances, Church dances, recreation centers, private parties, Water Buffalo Lodges, etc were the norm. We did everything from The Doors-BTO-Edgar Winter-The Spinners-AWB-The Ohio Players...those were the daze!

The '80s-
    Playing Top-40/Dance...we would not move for under $1000 for a 1-nighter. We would play a week(5-7 days) for $2800.

The '90s-
    I played in some Alternative Rock cover band for LESS than I made during the '70s 'garage era'. Making less cake when I knew more as a player/musician; IMO, the club owners now had 'hand' over the bands...a trend that has continued into 2000.
    I also played in a couple of "original" bands...one was hardcore & not listener friendly; I netted $250 over 2-3 years in that group. A different "original" band(actually, the same as the one above minus the singer & plus a horn player) did "OK"; then again, we were 50-50 on the originals vs. covers. More listener-friendly didn't hurt, either.

Thank God for the New Country parody band that keeps hiring me...I'm embarrassed to say how much they give me for playing 'so little'.
  12. In the early 70's we were getting $100(Cdn) per player for one nighters (high schools, colleges). In the 00's we're getting $100 - sometimes even $125 (Cdn) per player. Now THAT'S really keeping up with inflation. I think if you adjust for inflation it probably works out to about $4.36.
  13. In Darwin, Australia we get $200 per player for a pub gig. When we do private functions we get $400-$450 per player.
  14. With my main cover band, we ask 600$ (CND) for a night and 800$ for two nights. We're a four-piece, and most of the time, we need to rent 150$ of equipment.
  15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    For club gigs we get 400 to 500.

We usually double that for the swing dance parties we play.
  16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Anywhere from $300-700, and we usually provide the sound.
  17. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    my originals/instrumental funk band gets $400, but I'll take less $$ if the gig makes sense... just booked a gig for $250 tonight, in fact... also booked a gig last week for this summer at a Festival where we are playing for free, but there will be 40,000 people at the Festival and we can sell Merchandise/CDs...it all really depends...

originals rock bands don't make much $$ around here. I need to get a good covers/wedding/corporate party band started :)
  18. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Taking my local little downtown club development as microcosm and metaphor... We've got, in order of popularity (i.e., patrons in the door) 1. A country dance place where they spin records 95% of the time; 2. A modern dance club, where they spin records 100% of the time; and 3. A live music venue.

I was just a wee one in the 70's but from what I understand, in the 70's it was only first becoming acceptable to spin records rather than have a band. Nowdays, live bands have more or less taken a back seat to the DJ... which would seem to explain the economics.

The guys in the alt. country band I work for were pretty disheartened to learn that a name act in that genre with several albums and a full tour schedule recently played the above-mentioned live music club for a mere $800.

Enough to make ya wanna :bawl: