1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of mounting screws in an SKB case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tZer, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Gang I need your help fast!

I have an SKB 2-space case that I want to load my head back into - problem is I LOST THE SCREWS!!!! Can anyone tell me the correct mounting screws to get for an SKB?

Mine is just like this...

[​IMG]

There are little c-shaped fittings on the rack that the screws engage. I need to know the correct screws to buy at the hardware store.

Any help is much appreciated!!

--tz

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    just go to a music store & buy rack mount screws. they are dirt cheap and usually also have a plastic washer to prevent rack rash

3. They aren't screws, they're clips that have a threaded nut on the back side. You may need to contact SKB or GC for the right thing, but you may be able to cobble something together, personally I'd try for the right thing, it has a fitted curve that goes into the hole to make it more solid (I guess).

4. There are definitely screws involved, because I removed them and lost them, remember? :)

I have the clip-nuts - not the screws. I need the correct thread/dimension for the screws that engage the clamp-nuts.

I think I have found a description, but I am not sure - M6 x3/4" screws...

Anyone?

5. Good idea - I am gonna call one now and see if they have such a thing.

thanks!

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Always good to see informed advice on a forum ; }

Yes, the SKB type requires a nut/clip assembly. This allowed them to make the rails part of their aluminum valence, keep it light, and not have to worry about stripped threads.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    How hard is it to take a clip-nut down to the hardware store? Anyway, I think the size is 10-32.

8. I believe they are #6 x 1/2 inch fine thread machining screws. Just take one of the nuts to the hardware store and and have the clerk size it up for you. It's a good idea to get plastic washers for them too so you don't scratch your gear.

9. Thanks!

Good point - if I had them with me :eyebrow:. I was hoping to stop on my way home and get em.

I just called Guitar Center and they carry what I need. I will be stopping there on the way home.

Thanks all for your input!

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    yep i understood. AFAIK, most rack mount screws are a universal size thread. Maybe I'm lazy & dont want to weed through bolts at a hardware store since i can buy a box of the things, plastic washer included, for 5 bucks at the music store

11. My biggest problem is me. I don't think ahead enough to bring what I need with me and then I decide, "Hey, I want to put my head back in it's case before the gig tonight!" - I always hope there is an easy answer to my questions. In this case there is. Guitar Center. They have what I need.

--tz

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey, if all you need is the screws let me know and I'll bring you some when we get together tomorrow. I have a handfull of them sitting around doing nothing. I don't have any extra washers though. If you need those you might as well go by GC and pick up both.

13. Thanks man! I am going to whip by GC and have done with it. Seems to make the most sense and is cheap.

Looking forward to our meeting tomorrow! I have a gig tonight in Crystal City which means I don't ususally roll into bed until around 3:30... But as long as I don't have 'too much fun' at the gig, I should be fine when I come to in the morning. But they really like us down there and it is hard to resist all that fun!

See ya tomorrow!
    --tz

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    #10-32

The length can vary, but they should be long enough to go completely through the rack ear of the equipment and the captive nut on the clip.

15. got a pack of nuts and rack screws from GC yesterday - 'problem' solved.

Thanks again!

16. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    just got an skb 4 space the other day, and in the case came some black round head bolts with plastic washers on them. are the square retaining nuts missing, or are these locking bolts?

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The nut's are in the little square clips, on the rails of the rack itself ...