Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Kind of Music do you play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FeTiS, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Rock

24 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Hard Rock

21 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Alternative

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. Jazz

13 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. Punk

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Metal(Any type)

29 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. Other(Please state)

48 vote(s)
    31.2%
  1. I don't know if this thread has already been done or not, but i'm just curious as to what the most popular type of music on TB is. For me, I play hard rock.

2. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Classic Rock, of course.

3. madsky

madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    My friends play rock and poprock. I play metal, poprock, rock, and a touch of jazz. :)

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i play in a Nu-Metal Band (you didn´t expect that did you :D) and in a Rock-folk(mex)-ska band (oposite to the other one)... also starting to do bass solo music...

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm in a Hard rock band. We've been compared to GodSmack, Alice in Chains, Creed, Pantera & others. Click below & give a listen.

6. Pop, Classic Rock, Hard Rock (on occasion), Rap (yes, believe me), Funk, Disco, Classical.

Why limit yourself to only one genre of music?

I am currently brushing up on my theory and playing so that I can start experimenting with jazz.

FF

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Ok....I am a session player and hired gun in Southern Calif. That means I play whatever the gig calls for. From metal to cocktail lounge jazz to show tunes.....
    I also have a rather successful career as a solo bassist. As such, I play a mixture of jazz and rock/pop classics arranged for solo bass, and a great number of my own compostions which juxtapose divergent ethnic rhythmic and harmonic elements with improvised melodies, and bass generated loops. Using muted string techniques, and by playing the body of the bass itself, I can play drum-like percussive figures, which are then looped via 3 different loopers. I have an extensive vocabulary of bass chords (over 700 voicings)
    which gets used in this context.
    As a composer my interest lies in the melding of old and new traditions, the convergence of different ethinic "world music" elements, and the spontaneous quality of studied improvisation. As a solo bassist I am allowed to indulge in those and produce a unique musical statement.
    Max

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Da Blues!!...:)

9. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    "Da Blues" II. :)

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I play...heck, I'm not sure. It's metalish, but every once in a while, my humor pokes through...so I guess if I could mention a band like mine, Maybe System Of A Down, and to a lesser extent, Anthrax and SOD.

11. WintryGrey

WintryGrey

Sep 12, 2000
    classic metal :p

priest, maiden, dio, sabbath

and some newer power metal stuff

iced earth, blind guardian

12. I guess I play varied styles, but usually, jazz (fusion or latin) instrumentals. See my sig for some tunes.

13. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Baroque, which consists of Bach, Scarlatti, Fisher, and a bit of Handel.

14. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    In my band I play punk.
    Outside of my band I play everything, almost.

15. Heavy Rock, Sabbath, Purple, Rainbow, Y&T, etc.

Stu

16. Jazz (on saxophone and bass)

17. I play latin in my main band, and freelance playing jazz, country, blues, irish, or whatever pays money. I once subbed in a jewish band!( that was hard- really odd time signatures)

18. I PLAY A METELISH/HARD ROCK TYPE OF MUSIC, SOMETIMES SOME GROOVE.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    REALLY? YOU DO?!

Don't yell, we can hear you just fine!

20. Hi godsmack. Welcome to TB! Just a quick note on Forum etiquette - typing in CAPS is considered SHOUTING, and not very nice. No biggie - we're not born knowing these things.

Cheers,
    X