What kind of music do you play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Rock

51 vote(s)
  2. Alternative

27 vote(s)
  3. Metal

32 vote(s)
  4. Jazz

23 vote(s)
  5. Blues

23 vote(s)
  6. Fussion

12 vote(s)
  7. Funk

29 vote(s)
  8. Pop/ Top 40

11 vote(s)
  9. Ethnic/ World

7 vote(s)
  10. Classical

11 vote(s)
  11. Country

6 vote(s)
  12. Blue Grass/ New Grass

3 vote(s)
  13. Electronic/ Industrial

7 vote(s)
  14. Punk

23 vote(s)
  15. Ska/ Dub

14 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What style(s) of music do you play?
  2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I play about anything. Seven people in a band, Guiarist likes country, i like punk, drummer likes funk, fiddler likes hanson. crazy
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Metal in my band, but I have a tendancy to just play whatever. If I had a "me" band, it'd end up some sort of amalgamation of everything on the list...
  4. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    I play classical inspired metal... lol.. some slap funk stuff... if less than jake counts for ska.. then yeah i play some ska
  5. Rock, Metal, Punk, Classical, and Blues
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Until recently, I played a lot of metal and hard rock stuff. I started writing my own stuff, which I often describe as having a bluesy or a punk/surf feel to it (if that makes any sense).

I must be getting old, cuz I sure can't 'bang like I used to! :(
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    One of these days I will record some tunes with my band, put them up for you all to hear and ask you what the heck you would call it. Because I have no idea what it is... but it's fun to play!
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Lets see:

in school i play jazz
    Phat phunktion is funk, hip-hop, r&b, pop(?)
    bon pantalon is jazz, rock, hip-hop
    ryan meisel quartet is jazz, funk, hip-hop
    tim whalen electric group is fusion

and i'm a jazz whore too.

i used to play in the UW symphony too, but that sucked so i quit :D (although my chops are suffering BIG TIME because of it)

9. My stuff is anything from Easy Listening to Metal. Gee, it's nice to be a solo artist :D
  10. Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    I play to earn some money (have to make a living), and I pay my studies with it.

Where I live you can't do much shows and earn at the sime time some money with it if you don't play weddings, (big)partys,

So we play the music the audiency wants: top 40 and pop.
    (it's like playing the music your parents like)
    To be honest: this is playing for fun and money, not for the music, but hell..I have a good time.
  11. I play a lot of gospel, jazz, fusion, and bebop.
  12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Well, I play in a country band, but I'm really a rocker at heart. Played in rock bands for 20 years before the country thing. Country is great, though. I have a lot more respect for it now than I did when I just played rock. As a general rule (please don't flame me with all the exceptions), todays country is more challenging to play than todays rock, which really says a lot about todays rock....
  13. I play rock, alternative and I like to do an improvised 12 bar blues for practise. Usually sounds horrible. :D
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Looking at the poll resuts, there is an amazing variety with a few people in every category - except Country!! :D

Maybe this should be kept in mind by the people who seem to think we should all like one thing - that is SlipKnit or Korn etc. - and that we should all hate certain music ...so far you would only be safe in the assumption we don't like Country! ;)
  15. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    So far we can anly be safe in the assumption that we don't PLAY Country! :p

See, I don't play trance, or jazz, or pop, or classical pieces, but I do listen to it!
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Actually, I reckon there are a fair number who play Country, but it is just so "un-liked" by bass players that they won't admit it on a board like this! :D
  17. Isn't that the format where we can take all but one string off our basses and still be able to play any song published?

18. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey now, read the thread. I already admitted that I play country...and that I like it.
  19. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It is obvious that you have never actually played country. It is stereotyped as root/fifth only on bass, but these days that is only a small portion of country. There are a lot of challenging bass lines in country these days. I know that you were joking, but some people might take you seriously...
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry - there were 0 ticks for Country, when I posted and one has only just appeared! I guess you went back and ticked it! ;)