1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of music will be popular in 20 years?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slobake, Apr 1, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

What kind of music do you think will be popular in 20 years? Will we even use electric guitars and basses? Will Polka make a re-surgance? Will a tuba be the best bass for metal? Maybe it will all be computer generated and performed by flawless androids that look like Tiny Tim? Will the hurdy gurdy be the new electric guitar? Will the average song last 15 seconds or the time it takes Mick Jagger to makeup his face?

2. slobake

Yikes I meant to post this in off topic. :bag:

3. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Nothing's changed in the last 20 years... what's going to make things change in the next 20?

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The way it has been going for the past 10 years,
    I don't think there will be any real music being made 20 years from now.

I will be a total geezer by then so I don't care.

5. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    No one will play instruments anymore; everything will be computerized; lyrics will have no meaning; people will be famous for looking/acting stupid.

...waiiiiit, that already happens. (in Top 40, "popular" music at least...rock and its subgenres are save...for now)

6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I hope it's better than what's popular now, though I doubt it. I'll be an old fart as well, trying to remember why I'm in the room I just walked into. The stuff I've been listening to for a long time has never been popular, so it won't matter on that front either.

7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    I can't say what will be popular in twenty years. Probably pop music...

Pop punk or nu metal is about due for an 'ironic' resurgence (Pitchfork does a retrospective on Limp Bizkit...hahaha). I've also heard that sax solos are about to make a come back in pop and rock music... That's a serious one.

Perhaps pop music will finally exhaust all of the 80s cliches it is running through at the moment, and then move on to the 90s. Grunge?

8. slobake

So then we will still be getting requests for "Free Bird" :rolleyes:

9. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    dubstep

10. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    if we continue to go in cycles of 30 years we'll see a resurge in rap metal popularity. hipster kids playing limp bizkit. I can't wait!

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

College students will still be playing In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on their sound systems while they're moving into the dorm.

12. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    "Lord knows, I can't change".

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    According to an early 1970's Archie Comic, this is how music will be in the future.

Attached Files:

14. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Probably the Beatles.

They did have the biggest selling album during the ten year period of 2000-2009.

Why not?

15. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    people banging on trash cans while singing autotuned gregorian chants.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Maybe One Direction and the Jonas Brothers will be doing hugely popular reunion tours.:p

Aerosmith came back strong after almost a decade away, why not Disney teenie boppers?

17. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    Grateful Dead

18. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    no-
    tuba will be the best bass MADE of metal.

i suspect that the best music has been made already.
    people will continue to dig backwards for the gems.
    i hope i am wrong.

19. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    Madonna, still... :bag:

[​IMG]

:rollno:

20. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    I suspect we're already seeing it -

charts becoming more and more irrelevant in terms of being where people find out "what's happening".

More and more fragmentation, everyone into whatever they want to be into.

People not associating so much with a single style of music for purposes of identity.

Better general awareness of musical history.

Recognition that the big-business, big money stuff is a bit 'lowest common denominator', and that that's OK, because there's great stuff happening all over too.

Occasional DSP advances leading to some new sounds but nothing really genre-making.

Music being less important in its own right to a lot of people as richer multimedia and social networking experiences become available.

Super-low latency networks developed for gaming and video calls allowing people in different cities to jam with each other.