Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of neck would you put on this Warmoth walnut body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 14, 2005.

1. I'm looking to make myself a Warmoth Jazz. I'm thinking of going with the walnut body below and I'm going to oil the whole thing - body, neck, fretboard, etc. Natural finish and ease of application. What kind of neck would look really good on this? Maple? Rosewood? Pau ferro? I've pictured a neck below - would the two look good together? Also, I have a J-retro to put in - what kind of pickguard would look good against oiled walnut?

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
  3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, get a nice ebony fretboard. I'd also get a walnut veneer on the headstock to match the body.

4. I have a Warmoth Jazz body and I ordered a neck made of goncalo alves with a pau ferro fretboard. There wasn't enough colour contrast between the woods for my liking. I have another neck on it now - maple with an ebony fretboard - and it looks much better. Ebony gets my vote.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  6. I say ebony makes a better contrast to the body, and to me, the contrast between the fibgerboard and the body is a really cool touch to add!

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That neck would look great, I also think a maple neck would look great. I like the fact that the board and headstock would have the same color/finish...it would work particularly well with the brownish color of the walnut body.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I really like the combination I have on my Jerzy:

Walnut body with wenge neck and ebony fingerboard. It's all oil finished, so you should be able to do the same with these woods.

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I put a wenge neck on my walnut bodied gecko. It really produces a nice phat tone. Plus, the wenge necks don't require finishing so you can keep that natural feel and not void the Warmoth warranty! :)

10. I think that's what I'll do when I get around to making a Warmoth. Walnut Jazz body, wenge/ebony neck.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You may want to take the tonal differences of the fingerboard material into account. Maple is bright and snappy, Rosewood and Pau Ferru have a warmer sound, Ebony is very articulate, but smoother than Maple and those are just the basic options!
    Decisions, decisions, decisions...that what I like about Warmoth.