Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what kind of necks can i put on my squire p bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fr0me0, Dec 6, 2005.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I'd like a jazz neck cause they are a little smaller and i have small hands and also I want to buy a hipshot but they won't fit on the squire. anyone know how i can find out what will fit on and what wont?

2. You may want to rethink this. Think about the cost of a new neck and a hipshot then think about how much the bass cost. You might be better off selling the bass and using that money along with the money you were planning to invest and buy a bass that you'd like more. It's your bass and your money.

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I just bought the bass actually. I was going to buys standard p bass. but for 300 dollars less the suire was a real bargin, esp since i was planning on changing the neck anyways. I alreayd have a jazz and i love the neck but want the p bass tone. I figured why buy a standard p bass just to take the neck off. wht I want is a cheap p with a thin neck that will go into D easy and I figured this is the best way to do it. Its not like i'm ever goin to sell it, its a hot rod one of those thigns thats only worth somehting to you

4. That's cool. Where are you getting the neck...Rondo/Essex...Mighty Mite?

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I have not idea, first i need to know what will fit. Dont' wanna buy a neck just to find out that it won't fit on it.

6. I bought what turned out to be a MIJ Fender neck for my P-clone used for less than $30 on e-Bay. You really should measure the neck pocket on your bass to be sure. There are always Fender licensed Mighty Mite necks on e-Bay for $100 or so. You can ask the seller if the necks are compatible with your bass (I'd bet they are). They're good quality necks. I can't speak for the Rondo/Essex necks but people here seem to like them.

7. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    that must have been a nice buy, can you tell me what exactly the pocket is?

8. The routed area in the body where the neck fits is called the neck pocket. On Fenders, it is normally 2.5 inches wide.