1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what kind of noise gate pedal do you use?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The BurgerMeister, Apr 27, 2006.

1. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    boss?
    mxr?
    rocktron??
    ?????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :bag: :bag: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :bassist:

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    I have used a MXR before. It worked nicely. My gear isn't very noisy, though. If I played live with a long chain of pedals, I would own that one. I'm pretty sure it's a Tom Scholz design. He's a genius.

3. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I used a Boss NS-2 for awhile, but I changed around my board and the two pedals, that were really noisy, when used together are not in the same setup so the noise level is acceptable and I sold the NS-2 to a buddy, I havn't quite found a new use for it yet, but I do sorta regret not having one just incase....

4. When I was shopping for a gate years and years ago, the Rocktron was touted as a great unit but it was ridiculously expensive and inconveniently large - so I went for the NS-2 and I've had no complaints.

I don't like it when people try to pass off things for something that they are not, and this is nothing more than a downward expander... or in other words, a glorified noise gate. But, it does the job very nicely and I'm not saying you shouldn't consider it; Just don't believe (all) the hype!

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 for the NS-2