what kind of oil to use on the fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The_Bass, Aug 28, 2000.

1. I know that most of you will probably say lemon oil but what IS lemon oil? I´ve never known that...

and is there some other substance that I should use on my fingerboard?
  2. Lemon oil is simply..oil made from lemons! Wow! what a revelation! :)
    Seriously, It is bassically furniture polish that is not mixed with wax.(i.e., Pledge, Endust, et al)
    Formby's was my favorite, but depending on what your fingerboard is made of, there is also Linseed oil,
    which is very oily, or neatsfoot, which is supposed to be for leather but works well with wood. Stewart Macdonald makes a specialized fingerboard oil for Rosewood and ebony fingerboards.But really, you should not have to oil your fingerboard more than 4 times a year. If you do it too much you will clog the pores of the wood and run into problems.
    Check out this site http://www.stewmac.com they have some good guitar care stuff.
  3. not more than 4 times a year? I have always heard ppl say every 6 months... and I´ve never "oiled" my bass... been more than a year since I got it and probably 10 years or more since my hurricane got "oiled" :)

btw: thanx for the info... and I get catalogs from stewmac but I´d rather buy something from my nearest furniture store than ordering from USA... :)
  5. yeah.. I agree with you :)

but anyway... I forgot to buy oil today.. will call tomorrow to "Byko"...
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I use fast fret by ghs...it seems to be pretty good...it's also good for the strings...hmmmm....I' hope I'm not killing my bass with this stuff...lemon oil? am I using the right stuff??
  7. Fast fret is something different, I know my guitar player swears by it,though.I have heard differing opinions about it,though. Some say it's the bomb, others can't stand it,
    They say it makes their strings go dead faster, but I stand by what I said before, no matter what you use, a little goes a long way. So, don't fret:rolleyes: so much,I can't
    really say that one is better than the other,I can only give my .02 and stand back...
  8. I just talked to the most respected guitar maker on Iceland and he said that I should use Olive Oil... :eek:

should I try it? can´t hurt the bass, can it?
  9. Are you playing the bass,or making a salad? That is a new one for me, I have never heard of people using that.
  10. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  11. I read your suggestions and decided to try lemon oil on my fretboard. Wow, what a great shine! Thanks!
  12. Yep, That's why it is one of the most commonly used oils.
  13. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I know that this post is a little late, but after reading the original post, I gotta throw my 2 pence in!

Stick with the products mentioned above, any " vegetable " type oil will become rancid after a while and believe me, it will start to REEK in a major sort of way!!!

14. Yeah, it gives your Bass that certain "wessonality"! :D
    I assume you are talking about that olive oil post..
  15. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
  16. ok.... good thing I didn´t wanna spend money on olive oil today!!

then I´ll just find lemon oil and use that...

thanx for all the info guys... :)
  17. nvsoon

Dec 28, 2013
    if you go really light i have actually oiled up my fingertips and used Canola oil. i have a 13 year old affinity p bass that can attest to the fact that this works. !!!! Can anyone else her believe it? an Affinity that old that is honestly in great shape and still plays well? i love squier!
  18. Linseed oil is the best for Rosewood, Ebony, or unlacquered Maple fretboards (in my opinion). I oil the fretboard about once every 2 years (and very lightly), basically when they feel like they need it.

A light rub with a high quality wood polish every couple of months is a good idea, but that's more to clean them of all the crap that come from sweat dust, etc.
  19. Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Lemon oil, and not very often. I'll give it a light treatment when I have all the strings off (which is rare, as I tend to change them one at a time) if it looks like it needs it. Then wipe it right off.

Don't let any oil anywhere near your strings if you want them to last.
  20. Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    This is what I do, and only when rosewood starts to look really dry. The lemon oil will bring it back to life, but don't put the strings back on until the excess is wiped off and what is left soaks into the wood.