What kind of P Bass do you play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oldie but noobe, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I have had gas for a P bass for a while, so I thought I would ask this:p

You know what I mean, a Fender or Non Fender. Reisue or whatever.
    Maple or Rosewood
    Do you have the original Pups in it, what did you replace them with?
    I would like to hear from the guys that use their P Bass as a main Bass or at least the one you go to often.

OH Yeah Pics would be cool:D :bassist:
  2. I have a Fender P with a rosewood board. I replaced the original pickup with a Nordstrand NP4 and the original bridge with a Gotoh.

The Nordstrand pickup kills! Great tone.
  3. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    1998 Fender American Standard with a rosewood fingerboard. I'm planning on putting a vintage pickup in, these new ones are a little loud.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I play this one sometimes:

5. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I love Ps!

I have three MIJ '62 RIs(Rosewood slab boards), one MIA RI, a Franken bass with a warmouth body, SD Hot P PU and a RI neck from ebay. I also have a mid 80s ESP P copy with a Raven Labs preamp.

Two have Fender reissue pickups, three have Seymour Duncan Hot wound P bass pickups and the ESP has whatever it had when I bought it.

I found through mixing and matching, that the pickup has to match the bass.

There is very little I can't do with a P and a good EQ on my amp.

6. I have two right now. Both MIA. One is about six years old and the other I just got a couple of months ago. The new one has the S-1 switch on it and to be honest, The older one sounds a hell of alot better. I thought the new one would eventually replace my old one but no way. Plus I also have a stingray that hardly leaves the case. But thats another story.
  7. A Fender Jazz special

its pretty much just a Pbass with a Jazz pickup at the bridge though. I likes it
  8. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Fender MIA Hot Rodded P-Bass (2002)

Tokai Hard Puncher (circa 1984 - mid seventies copy)
    It plays better than most of the other "vintage" 70's P-Basses I've tried.
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    '96 MIA... Always appropriate... Currently sporting some well-worn D'Addario Chromes. Definitely my reference bass.

10. I have a franken-P (but no digital camera). It's CAR, has a 2-piece mahogany body, lime green pickguard, a $30 used neck (excellent quality) from e-Bay with a rosewood slab board with the classic P-Bass 1.75" width at the nut, MIM Fender tuners and bridge and a Fender custom shop "Original '62" pickup. I have it strung with Fender 9050 M flats. It is a fine sounding and fine playing bass. Through a tube amp, it has that killer, fat P-Bass sound I crave. I put the neck on almost 3 years ago and I haven't had to adjust the truss rod or bridge since then, and I live in Minnesota where we have extreme fluctuations in temperature and humidity, so that's almost unheard of!
  11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Lakland Skyline Glaub
    Ash body with rosewood fingerboard
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats

Wish I had a better picture. It's currently my only bass but I'm completely satisfied. Though I would like a jazz sometime in the future.
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Honey Blonde Finish
    Tort guard, bridge cover, and thumbrest added.

I had a DiMarzio Split P in for a little bit, but went back to stock. :cool:

Right now it's sporting my last set of D'Addario Slowounds. :( Once these die, I'm going to give TI flats a go.

This bass gets the most playing time of those currently in my arsenal.
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    95 MIA P. Was originally fretless, I swapped the fretless neck for a fretted rosewood neck. Original pup, sunburst with gold anodized pickguard.

98 MIA P. all original, sunburst with rosewood.

00 (?) Squier P. Black, rosewood board. MIA pup, pots and tuners, Badass 2 bridge.
  14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

I have the same setup: Alder body, rosewood fingerboard, and Nordstrand NP4, but my bass still has it's stock strings-through bridge.

I'm with Bernie 100%. The Nordstrand NP4 is a fantastic pickup.
  15. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    '73 Fender P-bass :)
  16. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i will soon have an Ibanez GSR200 PJ that i will butcher and build my own bass with. so i guess i will play the GSR200 for like a week and then i'll play my own bass afterwards.
  17. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

1977 Yamaha BB1000

* Alder body
    * Reverse P pickups
    * Labella Deep Talkin' flats
    * 29 years old and in near mint condition
    * Plays like a champ!

18. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

1974 Fender P. Pretty much all original, except for the knobs. 1-5/8 neck (I think that makes it a B width?). It's strung with plain old nickel Slinky's.

You just can't go wrong....

19. That Yamaha is a 100% classy, fine looking bass, IN! I love the Alembic-like inlays!
  20. i have a lyon by washburn plywood P clone, with a one-piece maple neck and fingerboard. i replaced the pickup first with a bartolini, and then with a reverend (8.7k DCR). the original white finish (with solid white pickguard) was first covered with band decals, then "cherry man" stickers. a lot of time with some goo gone and a utility knife got me back to the white. then some silver craft paint and a 3/8" brush got it to where it is today.
    i liked the bartolini, but the revered flat out kills with new strings for a rock tone. it's still got a nice, thick tone with dying strings. it's big and still works well in a mix, but it's not as bright and grindy as it was with newer strings. but that's an easy fix.
    if you can't do it on a P, it may not be worth doing.