Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of Peavey is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ely, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Today I went to a local music store that is notorious for selling everything at List price or above. There I saw something awesome. It was a Peavey 5 String, and it looked identical to a Wenge/Walnut Cirrus. Only it didn't have Cirrus markings/labels on it and the fingerboard had a different inlay. It said "Made in Vietnam" on the back of the headstock, and it was about $400. It was a neck through and had all the looks and feel of a Cirrus, but it had passive electronics. It had the tightest B string I've ever played on an instrument under $700. I want this bass! But what the hell is it? The price tag said it was a Grind Bass BXP only it looked absolutely nothing like one. Please tell me what this is, or else I'll have to buy that one if its still there by my birthday. Thanks, and sorry if I seem kind of incoherent or anything but I'm in a hurry and really wired right now. Bye.

2. It sounds like a a peavey C4 or C5, but they are only available in Britain and Europe. Looks like a Cirrus but far cheaper with passive electronics. I have added the web link bellow for you to look at and compare.

http://www.peavey.co.uk/c4c5.html

I actually had a C5 thru neck a few years ago and if what you are looking at is anything like what i had its a great bass. My only complaint was that it weighed a ton!

3. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    That bass is called the Grind NTB.
    It is a neck through Grind bass made in Vietnam.

The body is made of Imbuya, a Vietnamese spicewood. The neck is laminated maple and mahogany. I don't know what the fretboard is made of, but it looks like some kind of rosewood to me. The pickups are passive humbuckers.

This bass isn't listed on the Peavey website yet.
    Suggested US retail is $499 (5 string), and $449 (4 string).

4. Wow, that sounds like a heck of a deal. I think I may have heard a little bit about it way back when.

5. yep, as seen in bass player (reviewed) a month or two ago.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Is this the one that has the body scooped out on the lower bout above the neck p/u? I played around with something like that at a music store in Michigan. It's easy to slap the crap out of it. The electronics sounded weak, but could easily be replaced. Seemed like a cheap way to turn a project bass into a real monster.

Peace,

James

7. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Went back to the store today and put down some money for layaway. Yay!