1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of pedal do I want?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kuchar, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Egh, i've been reading and searching through these things for what feels like forever, and I still do not know the difference between Fuzz and Overdrive. :help:

I want a 'distorted' tone, but no so much like crazy heavy metal distortion. If you listen to the raconteurs, I'd like the tone Jack Lawrence gets in Salute your Solutions. Or maybe something like Tim Commerford in most ratm/audioslave songs.

Point being, I dont want a crazy distortion or super crunchy, nasty sounding tone. I want a powerful "distortion" When I click my effect on I want it to make the music seem more powerful..

Anyone know what the heck I'm talkin about? :eyebrow:

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Start by reading the FAQ's at the top of this forum. It will help you on your way to understanding and enlightenment in the ways of the Fuzz (or overdrive, or distotion).

There really are hundreds of options in the category of effects you're talking about.

BTW - Jack Lawerence uses an EHX English Muff'n. Timmy C has a very complex amp and effects setup. A quick search in this forum will get you the Commerford mega-thread.

3. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I've read the Tim C mega thread.. I don't even want to TRY to mimic his tone, i just wanted mine to be powerful like his.

Thanks for the EHX response.. I'll check into it.. maybe look for some sound clips :bag:

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    As per your title, I think what you want is a light distortion, however any sort of dirt effect with a clean blend will do just fine.

To reiterate/break it down: you want to push increase the sound output of the band at specific moments and still be heard individually but not completely cut through the mix, correct? Like I said, many dirt pedals (be they fuzz, distortion or OD) can do that at the right settings.

Keep reading until you get the differences though.