Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of pedal does the Muse Bassist use

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tomthedude, Jan 9, 2005.

1. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    What kind of pedal does the Muse Bassist use? I was thinking of buying a distortion pedal, because my band are doing a cover of hysteria and time is running out and i thought i would buy a distortion pedal. Does anyone know what kind of pedal he uses? Or suggest a simmilar sounding pedal?

cheers

Tom

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  3. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    ta very much

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    apparently he uses two big muffs in series to get the hysteria sound... but certainly you can hear the synthy 'zip' in that sound too. he uses an akai deep impact bass synth in that song and others like time is running out (its not distortion, you can emulate the sound by turning up the decay rate on a synth), citizen erased, plug-in baby, and even muscle museum he uses a piano sounding synth effect from the deep impact. if you have heard the hullabaloo soundtrack, most of the songs he plays live he doesnt use the synth, and does use overdrive and distortion. you can get close to this sound with using a boss overdrive/distortion... the closest ive found to it is produced by the ibanez tubescreamer (although im pretty sure thats not what he uses).

hope that helps.

5. Call me late to the game, but I really like what this band is doing...I was hesitant at first, because someone in passing dismissed them as a Radiohead knock-off.

I don't see that at all.

I like the sounds the bassist gets. I'm really having to look at that Deep Impact pedal now. I already use fuzzes in tandem, but that just might push some of my lines over the top...

Good stuff!

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    at the risk of hijacking the thread, i completely agree. i think that the 3 members of muse represent 3 of the most talented musicians in their field. chris wolstenholme is an extraordinary bassist, his basslines are always interesting and unique. i dont know if you have ever seen this guy play live but he slings the bass low and plays with exceptional technique, making everything look effortless (see a live clip of 'newborn' to get an idea of what im talking about).

as for the deep impact, ive been trying to track one down for ages. unfortunately they are few and far between in australia.

7. But good news is I heard Akai re-released them...

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    where did you hear that? there were a bunch of leftovers sold on zzounds and musiciansfriend recently but they werent re-released. i couldnt get one of them because neither of them would deliver to aus.

9. ooops, yer right....I didn't read that whole thread, my bad my man...sorry.

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    no worries. i got excited for a second there!

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    hehe.

12. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    prey do tell how I might be able to extract that sound from a deep impact. Been fiddling here for an hour now.

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    ive never used one so im not sure, it is an awesome sound though. its probably a saw wave... try doing a search for deep impact patch settings on google.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    A cheap option is the Danelectro french toast, it's not fantastic but it does get some wierd sounds. I posted some clips in my thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133530&page=2 near the bottom I play a bit of a muse riff in that (Badly) but all in all for the price it gets quite close.

Hope this helps