Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of pick do you use, or do you use fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by duo8675309, Oct 29, 2005.

1. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    I use a heavy Fender pick and a 1.14mm dunlop for backup. But I mainly use my fingers b/c pick is a lot harder for me.

2. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I use Jim Dunlop Tortex .73 mm (the yellow ones) when I want a hard sound. I use my fingers when I want a softer, more transparent tone. Using a pick is perfect when you're playing hard-driving rock tunes!

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am mainly a finger style player. I cant really remember the last time I used a pick at a show (if ever!). When I rock out plectrum style, I like to use the blue Tortex picks.

4. sethik

sethik

May 26, 2005
    Manchester England
    i use both picks and fingers.
    for picks i use jim dunlop 2mm s and dunlop 2mm "big stubbies"
    great for fast and heavy with sharp notes
    -s

5. Fingers 95% of the time, but when I opt for a pick I use a Gibson Heavy.

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
  7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Mostly fingers, but I'll reach for a Blue 1.00 mm Dunlop Tortex or a Carol Kaye pick.

8. Some songs i use fingers, but mostly i use my pick. Fender Squier J Bass California Style guitar rules!!!!!!!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use both picks and fingers, mostly fingers. Traditional sized heavies or x-heavies (picks, not fingers). I don't care who makes them. Right now I'm using Musician's Friend heavies I got for $2 a dozen. The other day, though, I found a pick on the sidewalk by House of Blues that I tried on a gig that I liked a lot, and I may switch to them. They were called Sharps, and instead of being rounded, they had a point on the tip. I think Dunlop makes them but I'm not sure.

Whatever you do, though, always use heavies for bass. You can really do damage to your hand by using lights or mediums.

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I like nylon picks the best, Dunlop or Peavey, the brand doesn't really matter. As they bend slightly, they give you the right amount of snap without sounding too harsh. I imagine you wouldn't be damaging your hand by using those, either.

11. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I use a heavy Dunlop jazz pick (very small) when I pick, but that's for only 2 or 3 out of 45-50 songs a night.

12. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Mostly fingers, but for fast and thrashy stuff I use a relatively small Dunlop 1mm.

13. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    In a recording situation or when I am playing with people my own age, I always use my thumb and my fingers. However, bass players being the creatures they are, I am now often asked to fill in for absent bassists with younger bands. There is no way my fingers can take a long night of that kind of playing so I started borrowing picks from the guitar players in these youth-bands. My favorite was a light gauge Fender until someone loaned me 100 Everly Pro picks. They are pink, have serrations on the body and, most cool, a hole about 1/4" in diameter right at the fattest part. The guitar player bought a lot of them and I don't think he cared for the color. That pick stays right where I need it. Way cool. A stiff pick does not to seem to work for me because I seem to lose control over the sound. A large pick seems to fall out of my grip rather easily. If I used one more my input would be of more value.

14. Why do you say that? I hate trying to make a thin pick do what I want, but I don't see how I could hurt myself using one.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Because you have to work too hard to get any sound out of the string when you use a medium or light pick and eventually it stresses out your hand. Might take 20 years to happen, but it eventually will.

I was having pains in my hand earlier this year, and I learned Carol Kaye's picking method, which involves heavy picks and a radical change to my technique. My pains went away. A couple weeks ago, I didn't have a pick and I borrowed one of the guitarist's Fender mediums. Hand pains were back in a minute, even using Carol's technique. I had to drop the pick and finish the tune with my fingers.

16. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Lately I've been using the rubber Wedgie pick almost exclusively when using a pick. Both the 3.1mm hard and the 5.0mm hard. You still get that nice pick attack, but with a warmer finger-style sound.

[​IMG]

17. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i usually go 60/40 fingers::pick. I find that the most aggressive/comfortable picks for me are the heavy fender california clears.

18. I guess that makes sense. I've just never used thin ones enough to notice it.