1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of pick ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tomthedude, Jun 29, 2004.

1. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    I don't really have a clue which kind of pick ups I need to get. I want ones with a Rickenbacker type sound, because I can't afford one. Anybody got any good suggestions on good Ricki sounding pickups?

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Rickenbacker pickups. It's a pretty unique tone. Maybe the Bartolini Rickenbacker type, but you'll be hard pressed to get a Rickenbacker sound with a Rickenbacker. It's not just the pickups, the construction of the bass constributes a lot to it's unique tone. Start saving, you can snag a new Rickenbacker for just about $1,000 which is a great deal. It's a very nice bass.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I agree with the poster above...

The Rickenbacker sound is unique and it is very hard, if not impossible to recreate with any other basses.

Just like it´s very hard to mimick a Warwick, some basses are just like this, unique :)

4. Most of the Rickenbacker sound comes from the fact that it is a maple neck through bass with maple body "wings", the pickups are just 4-pole single coils but also influence the sound.