Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of Picks do you like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Propyro, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Ok, i looked around and didn't find a thread like this so i'm starting a new one.

What kind of picks do you use?

When i play my strat, i usualy like playing with Dunlop tortex's the orange .6 mm ones. With my acoustic i tend to use .3 mm dunlop nylons or a .5 mm fender style pick. When i'm playing around with a bass in a guitar shop and try it with a pick i either use the .6 mm i carry in my wallet, or grab a random 1 mm or thicker pick.

your turn.

[/|\]

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I really like Fender's "classic" picks. I think they are cellulose or something. They are a little expensive, but they do have a unique sound.

I use mediums for bass and thins on acoustic guitar.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I use sharp jazz picks when I use one (which is rare). I like the Dunlp Tortex stuff, as thick as I can get it. The tortex has a nice give to it, and having a small pick allows me more control over the string.

4. I use only 1 kind....Dunlop Tortex .60 mm

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sharkfins from Sweden, the thin red ones.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dunlop ... er, the 1.14 Dunlop picks, the ones that are sky blue.

:oops:

7. Anyone try using jellifish on their bass? i went to their site and had a listen, sounds like a pretty cool pick. Great for people that like making a lot of weird noises.

www.jellifish.com

[/|\]

8. BassJaro

BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    "Brain" nylon pick, 1.0 mm for bass (the-perfect-pick imho)
    Dunlop Ultex 1.0 mm for g****r

9. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Pickboy Carbon Nylon. 1.14mm. Groovy and smooth sounding.

10. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Wow! The jellifish pick looked really cool but I wonder how long it would last when applied to some heavy bass strings! Id like to try one though. If I ever use a pick , I use ESP heavy picks , the ones with the grit on them so they stick to your fingers much better.

11. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    dunlop tortex .88mm (the green ones). i let one of the guitar players in one of my bands use one once and now he is hooked on 'em.

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When I used a pick regularly, I really liked the Dunlop Gator Grip pick. I'm not sure if they are still made. They had kind of a roughed up surface that helped keep the pick from slipping in my fingers. I sweat alot and smoother picks are really hard to hang on to.

The heat from my hands would eventually bend the Gator Grip pick, though. Also, the heat or sweat would wear the "grip" off in one session of playing, so they were generally good for only one practice or rehearsal or only one gig. I bought them about five dozen at a time. I used the thickest ones Gator Grip made.

13. Dunlop Tortex .88mm (but mostly I use my fingers).

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Whatever I can find. Usually, I find many when I disassemble the dryer. There were about 30 stuck in it last time I had to fix it.

15. Jim Dunlop Big stubby 2mm

The grip on those is absolutely great. The standard nylon 1mm dunlop I used to have easily shifted position.

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    When i do use a pic, I use the Green Tortex .88

On my ABG I also use the pink or the yellow ones
    depending on the song.or whatever free ones that I
    scarf at Guitar shows or music stores.

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Guys - this is a bass forum - moved to talkguitar.com ;)

couldn't resist

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I cant use them for the life of me and Ill admit I dont try very hard but when I do... Dunlop big stubby 3mm.

19. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Jim Dunlop Jazz III's