Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of pickups are these?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rubo, Apr 29, 2005.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, I bought a used pair of Fender Custom Shop Jazz pups off Ebay. Now the seller she's not an expert in pickups, so she doesn't know if these are original or not. I found out that mine are not CS 60's set. So here is what I know:

The string spacing is 19 mm on both, both pups are the same size. Also it's impossible to take it out of the cover, it's melted in. It has black and yellow wires. Bridge measures at 7k Resistance & Neck at 6.5k.

Here are the pictures:

http://tinypic.com/4rosa8

http://tinypic.com/4rosix

Any help would be much appreciated, I can also send additional pictures.

Cheers

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

don't look familiar to me. I've never seen a Fender American or Japanese pup with yellow and black leads - all black and white.

Somebody advertised custom shops in a box on ebay a couple weeks ago saying they'd got them at a garage sale or something and it just showed the pups in a box. I emailed them requesting a pic of the pup itself stating what's in the box is as likely to be the pups that were pulled as custom shops - they didn't respond and I didn't bid. Pics usually aren't worth much but anytime somebody does a number like that without it being a sealed new set - something's up.

Off the cuff, I say those were what was pulled.

If they advertised them as definite custom shops - that's what they're obiligated to supply. If you paid credit card, you can contest payment when the bill comes. Only leverage you have otherwise is negative feedback. Don't even think about contesting through ebay or paypal buying protection scams - they're just a way to generate cash flow for them - from you, not the seller.

Hope you didn't pay the going used price for custom shops.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Those have ceramic magnets stuck to the pole pieces. Also, they are both the same length. This points me to believe that they could be Mexican fender pickups from the 90's sometime.

4. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, any one else with mexican pickups can confirm this.

Cheers

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Recently (not exactly sure when) they went to different neck/bridge sized pickups, rather than both the same length. But I know that the ceramic magnets are a giveaway.