1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of pickups would you recommend for a Jazz bass (4 string)

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by zradguy, May 15, 2011.

1. zradguy

zradguy

May 2, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    I love my tone at the moment I should say, but I'm wondering if I can make even nicer with a new set of pickups. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I'm guessing I have your typical jazz bass set that came stock with the bass.

Any thoughts on the differences between brands would be appreciated, but in particular I'd love to get JMJ's take on his preference. I like a round warm tone and smooth low end. Not much of a fan of P-basses at this point - and I love the Starfire tone.

Does Darkstar make a Jazz bass pickup??

Many thanks for everyone's opinions-

2. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    co-founder, SynapticGroove
    Hello,

MEC J Bass pups are a little on the warm side; Duncan basslines have a bit more punch; Bartolini's have a smooth response. There isn't a Darkstar pup that will fit a J-bass without a little routing. Here's a link to what Darkstar's sound like:

Hammon Engineering - Recreating the Hagstrom Single Coil Bass Pickup

Keep in mind, the greatest sounding pups in the world, usually sound great depending on the pre you're using, internally/externally.

Hope this helps!

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    +1 on the Seymour Duncan basslines.

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Aguilar.

5. zradguy

zradguy

May 2, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Great, thank you everyone. Lots to research!