1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of Player are you...?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DenverontheOne, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Full time professional - paying gigs, making a living from bass playing

31 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. Day Job/Weekend warrior - in band, some low paying gigs

371 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. Garage Band - in band, play for fun, normally non- paying gigs

74 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Old Warhorse - been in bands, been there done that, play mainly for myself

153 vote(s)
    21.7%
  5. Basement Blaster - never been in band, serious hobby, play mainly by yourself

77 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. So in another thread I posted a question about how many players play mainly for themselves. The responses varied and one TB’er suggested a poll with the idea being that there were more casual players here than one may think.
    So here it is....

Update: My intent for Weekend Warrior category - Regular Day job- in band. Play semi-regular to occasional gigs. Whether church or community playing for the love of music, low paying gigs for whatever reason, or not enough high paying gigs by choice, bass playing is not providing your primary income.

BTW- All you Weekend Warriors are my heroes and way above my level. Congrats and didn’t mean to imply anything negative with “low paying”.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I voted "Weekend Warrior" but it's not entirely accurate. I don't take "low paying gigs" by local standards.

3. Good for you! You should get paid fairly for your talent. Doesn’t always happen.

Thanks

Btw - didn’t mean to insult anyone. Just suggesting that pay from occasional gigs were too low to support yourself full time.

two fingers likes this.
  4. Voted "Basement Blaster" because I haven't played bass in a gigging band, though I've been in a band.

5. Basement, only because bands are so hard to find at the moment. I play guitar and bass. Only 10-20% of people will e-mail me back. Musicians don't seem to want to meet up. Non-musicians want to meet up and are eager, but there's not much I can do with that.

6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I voted Weekend Warrior, but since most of my playing is with a community band (university big band), I can hardly say about myself that I make a buck out of that. We do get paid as a unit, but not as individual members. It's one of the few instances where playing for free makes sense to me because we're musical representatives of an educational institution, and there's a lot of prestige and new connections to be found in it.

I've recently joined an established classic rock band though, which does actually make money.

7. AHaze

AHaze

Feb 17, 2017
    Basement blaster as far as bass is concerned. I'm involved with two bands but hold sticks when playing with both of them.

MuffledBoomy likes this.
  8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Weekend warrior for most of the last 30 years [4 years as full time musician] with a very regular schedule. I wouldn't call them low paying gigs either. There have also been about a half dozen very satisfying recording projects as well. All in all, living the dream.

joebar and FenderB like this.
  9. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

About 4 1/2 years ago I joined a seniors ukulele workshop twice a week out of the Culver City Senior Center, but we consider ourselves a group with the name The CC Strummers and do gratis performances about once a month. I play bass uke with them. I guess we would be considered a Garage Band, so that's what I'll choose.

10. I voted "Old Warhorse" because "Old Peacehorse" wasn't listed. :laugh: I've gotten too particular in my old age and that's caused a slow down in gigs.

11. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Day job/weekend warrior here. But, no low paying gigs.

bmac314, filwitheneff and Bassbeater like this.
  12. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    My predicament wasn't up there which is, no job, in three bands and still struggling to make a living.

13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Voted basement blaster. I was a late bloomer. Never got my chops competent enough to play for money until I had moved on to the “next chapter”. Now married for going on 18 years and have 4 kids and am 100% committed to being the homework help/cub/Boy Scout dad, church activity person, etc...
    I play 5 tunes every sundays P&W band. That’s it.
    Funny, bass is my one outlet that’s “my deal”, and I don’t have tons of time for practice, but I’ve learned to maximize my lesser amount of time and use it more efficiently than I ever did when i was younger. - if I had done then what I do now it probly woulda gone different. Stopping now before this spirals into a butterfly effect saga...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I voted for weekend warrior because nothing really fit me. I play weekends, mostly at churches, it is not unusual to get paid well, I don't want to be in a band now but most of the places I play have a band that puts many professional bands to shame.

FWIW, I played in a really successful band when I was younger but met so many long-time musicians that hated music and having to take everything that came along that I had a good look at what I wanted out of music. I decided to go to college for a non-music degree and pursue music for myself. 45 years later, I play out often, am financially stable and am still loving music. A win-win-win for me! YMMV!

Dan

15. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    i have a basement band with friends but not yet ready to gig...

Bassbeater likes this.
  16. FenderB

FenderB Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Good for you.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  17. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I used to be full time and touring incessantly: on drums. I have been a weekend warrior on bass since I was 13.
    I mostly play for fun since the day job keeps me afloat financially, but not playing in a band would find me feeling empty. I play in Future Days, a Can tribute band, which is a fairly obscure band and really just for fun, but it pays enough to more than cover any and all expenses incurred. My other bass gig is in 80s Preservation Society, which is an 80s pop/rock cover band. This pays much better and it's a blast to play the songs of my teen years.

FenderB, Wfrance3 and Bassbeater like this.
  18. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Old warhorse...but haven't entirely given up on the dream of being a weekend warrior.:)

Wisebass, ba55i5t, Pet Sounds and 7 others like this.
  19. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Basement Blaster, unfortunately.

Was always to introvert when I was a teen and young adult to look for bands.

Now I work 10-12 hours a day, lots of responsibility, wife, two small kids, you know how it is.

I have been blessed with a wife I don't deserve and two wonderful children that are everything to me, but I still need music to get by everyday.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  20. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Basement band x 2. Both of my bands are all about having fun, and they both play weekly (or much as possible) at someone's house -- both hosts have really nice, large music rooms -- only rarely playing out. That said, though, everyone in both bands is serious about the music and strives to be as good as possible, because making good music is more fun than making bad music.

Bassbeater likes this.